how do you reduce the file size of an exported pdf without reducing quality

Hi,

I'm exporting a pdf from a sheet layer but I can't figure out how to reduce it's file size while maintaining line and text quality... 

I'm exporting a PDF/A-1b with a resolution of 300 dpi and low file size reduction but when I zoom in, the text is illegible.  What am I missing?

3 hours ago, nlands said:

Hi,

I'm exporting a pdf from a sheet layer but I can't figure out how to reduce it's file size while maintaining line and text quality... 

I'm exporting a PDF/A-1b with a resolution of 300 dpi and low file size reduction but when I zoom in, the text is illegible.  What am I missing?

use fonts that can be embedded in the PDF.  Rasterized text is bad.  Reduce the size of your dpi to 72 to 150, make sure you are not rasterizing vectors.  PDFs out of vectorworks are usually sharp and light if you set those things correctly.

IDK what your version (nor do I know if your file has image dats) is but for many versions VW has exported image/raster info outside the viewport frame, when I worked this out I have split large images and put the parts on separate classes, that makes for much smaller export .pdfs.

I have noticed my file sizes are much smaller since changing to 2018.

I find Apple and Vectorworks built in PDF s workflow is more than sufficient to produce sharp looking and small file sizes.

The vast majority of time file sizes bloom or look bad is due to a lack of understanding by the user.  I was quite impressed by Vectorworks in this regard, and I usually have more grievances than accolades to share about the software these days.  No need for 3rd party pdf software in my mind.

Looking at the new file formats Webp, that can make images super small without lost of quality, I wonder if PDF-file format will incorporate this technology. Most pdfs we make with VW are packed with tons of images that effects the file size a lot. We use the build in file compression of VW wish already saved a lot of space! 🙂 But could be better

Edited by MarcelP102