Tilt/Turn Window Dash Line Type

EmilyArch

Question

Hello!

I'm creating a window style for a Vectorworks template, and in the effort to standardize our line types, I'd like to adjust the dash line type that represents the tilt of a tilt/turn window - see attached image. I have a Class that specifies the desired Line Type settings. I've discovered how to assign different window components to different classes, but am unable to find the appropriate component in either the 2D Visualization or the Classes sections of the Window Settings dialogue. I'd appreciate any help the community can offer to point me in the right direction.

Best,

Emily

image.png

5 answers to this question

It seems to use the None class, and as you noticed, doesn't appear as an option in the Window/Settings/2D visualization tab.

If you don't already know, if you ever need to check these you can set up a test PIO and assign seperate classes to each category in the 2d visualization tab, then select and press Command+K, it will be converted to a group so you can then check which classes have been assigned to each part. Some groups will have a class from the visibility  section of the same 2D visualization tab, so the sash swing is in a group by default in the visibility class 'Sills', but inside that group the swept arc of the sash is defined by the 'Swing' and is configured to use the class fill and line;  the dotted rectangle showing the sash projection uses the 'None' class, but it's line and fill do not use the None class settings so it is preset as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps (!), it's not very intuitive and the naming of the visibility classes is certainly misleading.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ColinW said:

It seems to use the None class, and as you noticed, doesn't appear as an option in the Window/Settings/2D visualization tab.

If you don't already know, if you ever need to check these you can set up a test PIO and assign seperate classes to each category in the 2d visualization tab, then select and press Command+K, it will be converted to a group so you can then check which classes have been assigned to each part. Some groups will have a class from the visibility  section of the same 2D visualization tab, so the sash swing is in a group by default in the visibility class 'Sills', but inside that group the swept arc of the sash is defined by the 'Swing' and is configured to use the class fill and line;  the dotted rectangle showing the sash projection uses the 'None' class, but it's line and fill do not use the None class settings so it is preset as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps (!), it's not very intuitive and the naming of the visibility classes is certainly misleading.

Nasty stuff.

@ColinW Thank you! That resolves my search for the appropriate setting. I'm delighted to learn Command+K to convert to object to a group. That will certainly come in handy as I continue with template and library development.

If I understand correctly, since the sash projection line is preset, I, as a mere mortal user, will not be able to change the preset settings. Am I correct on that? Perhaps it's time for me to try my hand at creating a custom window symbol (with guidance from Andy Broomell, @Andy Broomell found while learning to relocate the loci).

I'm very grateful for your guidance!

Best,

Emily