So, you two, does that mean you run one long elevation line (I like to use one of the dash-dot line styles) across all the elevations and sections and then crop them into individual viewports? Do you then drop in elevation markers on the lines in the viewport? Or do you place a set of markers between, perhaps, every other drawing segment on the design layer and just crop to the marker?

I often place two elevations side by side on the Sheet layer and use one set of elevation markers in the middle. (Not uncommon, I don't believe) I think I like your idea, I'm just trying to visualize how best to do it.

About the cost of electronic pencils. . .have you looked lately at a set of Rapidographs?! Almost makes the 30" flat-screen seem reasonable! ?T

Hey Travis. I actually use a red dashed line as top of sub-floor. I drag, extend, duplicate in place and otherwise manipulate large and small lengths of it, with one finger always on the shift key (to constrain horizontal). My actual reference is usually on my first (and maybe other) major building sections, and always in relation to existing and final grade. I will normally let the builder do the math to determine footing depth, based on top of floor(s). Does that make sense?

Thanks. It does.

What I was really trying to draw out was whether you place your elevation marker (whatever style you happen to use) on the design layer (and then crop to keep it visible from the Viewport) or whether you just drop them in from Viewport-Annotations.

I am trying to use a live-model to represent my elevation. So I have to use a viewport and if I want to dimension I have to do it in the annotations. But it seem benchmarks do not work in annotations.

Try start a new viewport at 1/4" scale add a bench mark, go to the sheet and move the view port. The bench mark scales its self to 1:1? I've tried it a few times.

During the preliminary stages of a project I would like not to have to update 2d drawings. I think that is the real point of 3d drafting

yes, I line up all ay elevations and sections. This makes it easy for me to make guide lines for things like floors, windows changes in materials etc.

I found it was easier to place all the callout notes (i use notes from the database) and to copy the notes from one place to another. I would also put the elevation references (markers) and the elevation benchmarks in here too. Because all the elevations line up, you can turn on the automatic function for the benchmark and use it across all the elevations and sections...

then I make viewports of elevations, sections and details from this layer...

I'm not sure what you mean by "freeze" a layer.

I'm worried whenever random things start happening. Too often it's turned out to be a corrupt file.

See if you can recreate these problems in a new file. If not, you might consider copy/paste-ing the elements you've already drawn into a new file.

If the problems can be recreated, I'd first uninstall and then reinstall the application. If they persist, I'd be on the phone w/Tech Support. Or maybe I'd call them first. . .your call. (all puns intended)

Sorry, couldn't provide more direct answers. Good luck,

John,

I do the same thing (most of the time). . .use a viewport of the model for the elevation. But I always create the viewport on the Sheet layer (I know you can do it from the Design layer) and then enter to do Annotations. I've never once had the elevation marker change scale. I wonder if it's the methodology? (But I can't seem to recreate your problem on my system)

BTW, during design development I have a Design layer (usually called 3D Model) that has all the various layers linked to it so I can quickly check to make sure things are coming together correctly. Often I set elevation markers there to help me keep things straight in my head without having to open the Layers dialog and look at the Z-ht setting.

Hope some of this helps.

• 1 month later...

R,

Try "stacking" multiple Viewports. The back one might have the model rendered in Renderworks, the front one might be Hidden Line. You can even set Hidden Line to one of the Sketch modes. If you'll place a "sun"light on the referenced layer angled for each of the four sides, with each assigned to its own class, you can turn on the appropriate light for shadows (from the Viewport) on all four elevations. Very slick.

(We sometimes have 6 or 7 Viewports stacked so various elements can be line-scaled lighter or heavier to achieve the desired "look". Saves time, for us, over drawing sections and elevations on design layers.)

Again, good luck,

"But it seem benchmarks do not work in annotations.

Try start a new viewport at 1/4" scale add a bench mark, go to the sheet and move the view port. The bench mark scales its self to 1:1? I've tried it a few time"

Jonel,

Happens to me too. Font goes to size 668 or someting. It's a bug in VW, I think.

I am too trying to do the "live" elevations and sections. It's so silly to go through the tedious 3D modelling only to have to manually redraw the elevations and sections.

"You can also render the model in Sheet Save View-Use the bitmap tool to copy images shadows-then copy and convert to lines-Hand Sketch Mode and place on top of Bitmap image and edit line atributes-Quick and dirty. Without view ports.

"

This will take me a week to analyze...

Yes you can decide. In the OIP "classes" section set the window glazing to "Glazing style 1". Then go into the class setup dialog and double click on glazing style 1 where you have the following (if not more) choices: using simple "solid" or "none" for the fill of the glazing. If you choose solid, you can pick any color available in your palette. You also have the option to "use textures" and there are some fairly good glass textures available. HTH's...