Turn Off Screen Plane - Really...

willofmaine

Question

It looks like Screen Plane still exists in 2022, albeit with a different name and just "swept under the rug"... but that apparently done very effectively.  So that's great.

But when I open my (brand new this year) 2021 Template to create my new 2022 Template, I can't seem to disable legacy 2D features.  It says this is because there are "screen plane objects and/or saved views with unified view settings."

I've attempted the following to disable legacy 2D features, without success:

Even though I couldn't find any screen plane objects, I deleted absolutely everything from all of my design layers.

I deleted all of my Saved Views.

I deleted ALL of the resources from the Resource Manager.

I deleted all of the Sheet Layers.

I tried "Turn off unified view"  (though the whole "unified view" thing only seems like a vague, distant memory at this point...).

What's left?  Really, how do I disable 2D legacy features in a converted Vectorworks 2021 file???   VWIS222

Edited by willofmaine

10 answers to this question

I haven't managed that too.

AFAIK there are already some threads.

Maybe you have still some SLVPs in your Template

(But I think they are save although they had screen plane crops before migration)

I have to say that my Templates, re-done in VW 2021 (?) are 2D legacy clean.

But not my Project File (also done already in VW 2021)

Not sure about my referenced DLVP underlays ..... I can't switch their Crop Plane.

It looks like I could switch but when I re-enter Crop it is back on screen plane.

Also I am not able to even switch any screen plane-ed objects in my referenced

source file, delivered by clients.

If I do a custom search for (screen)plane, it shows thousands of screen plane objects.

but it doesn't select any of these.

And it looks like you would have to enter each Group manually to convert objects to

layer plane- which is impractical in that case. I am even not sure if VW would accept

me switching the plane reliably in this case.

And so far I did not try if my Project File would allow me to finally deactivate 2D legacy,

if I would delete the 2D legacy effected Reference ....

If VW 2022 is advertised as ScreenPlane free + Unified View always ON

(And BTW - I want "hide Layers with different Scale" to be OFF too as default of course)

I want all my Files 2D Legacy Clean !!!

Edited by zoomer

I saved my 2021 template as a 2022 template.  In a new file using the template, I created a new default design layer and deleted all of the others.  I deleted all of the sheet layers.  I deleted all of the classes (except "None" and "Dimension").  I deleted all of the resources in the Resource Manager (which of course removed all of the Saved Views).  I even ran the "Purge" command (and there was, as expected, nothing to Purge).  Yet I still can not deselect "Enable legacy 2D features."  I've sent some files to Tech Support; hopefully they'll have a solution.  VWIS222

Edited by willofmaine
  • Like 1

I couldn't get that to work, though I'm not sure I understand exactly what you did.  It doesn't seem like planes ("3D or Layer Plane") are associated with resources (in the Resource Manager; i.e., a 2D symbol can be placed either on a 3D plane or the Screen Plane... in the RM it's "plane-less" if you will...).

2 hours ago, willofmaine said:

I couldn't get that to work, though I'm not sure I understand exactly what you did.  It doesn't seem like planes ("3D or Layer Plane") are associated with resources (in the Resource Manager; i.e., a 2D symbol can be placed either on a 3D plane or the Screen Plane... in the RM it's "plane-less" if you will...).

Some resources can be. Symbols for instance can have objects that are set to Screen Plane or Symbol Definition.

To be fair, I've just tried this on another existing file and failed. I removed every single thing from the file that I could think of: resources, saved views, layers, classes and I purged everything (including special formats) for good measure, but I still could not turn off Legacy 2D.

The alternative is to start with a blank file with Legacy 2D off:

1. Open a blank file (and turn off Legacy 2D if it isn't already). Update any other documents settings to your preferences.

2. Open original file and import all its resources into the new blank file.

3. Import all Design Layers from original file into new file with Import Layer Objects option on.

In theory you should now effectively have a copy of your original file, but with Legacy 2D turned off.

....however, I've just followed these steps and what I'm finding is that despite Legacy 2D being off, objects that were previously Screen Plane objects are still behaving like Screen Plane objects. If I go into a 3D view they disappear. Also, if I select them, the Plane dropdown menu in the OIP is blank, and if I click on it there is an option to change the object to Layer Plane.

And here's the kicker, if I then turn Legacy 2D back on in the resulting file, those objects appear on Screen Plane (in the OIP) and I can't turn Legacy 2D off again.

I'll report this as it sounds buggy to me.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 2
On 3/14/2022 at 3:18 PM, Christiaan said:

Did you guys manage this? I was able to do it by deleting all my resources, which I was then able to import back into the file with everything on 3D or Layer Plane.

Maybe I'm recalling it incorrectly but I seem to recall that there was a message when I imported things last time, telling me Screen Plane objects would be moved to Layer Plane because Legacy 2D was turned off in the file I was importing into. Anyway I definitely didn't get that message when I followed the steps in my post above.

9 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Some resources can be. Symbols for instance can have objects that are set to Screen Plane or Symbol Definition.

Well... I think planes only apply to planar objects.  3D objects and symbols and hybrid objects and symbols can never be on the "Screen Plane."  And 2D symbols can only consist of planar objects, and those have to be on the "Screen Plane."  But... 2D symbols can either be on the Screen Plane or a 3D plane.  But that's meaningless when they're just a resource in the RM, because it depends entirely on how they're placed in the drawing itself.

Of course, in Vectorworks 2022 there no longer is the "Screen Plane."  Or so they say...  "2D Component," "That which will only display in Top/Plan view"... call it what you will, "Screen Plane" is a fundamental requirement of Vectorworks' hybrid environment and it is still very much with us.

Open a brand new blank file.  Draw a rectangle, duplicate it, extrude the copy, and make a (hybrid) symbol out of both.  Edit the 2D component of the symbol.  In the OIP the rectangle has no plane option associated with it.  Exit the symbol, enable legacy 2D features, edit the symbol again, and you will find that now in the OIP the rectangle does have a plane option, which is "Screen."

So, with Vectorworks 2022, all they've really done is remove the ability for us to optionally draw in the screen plane (thus the new ability to set the working plane parallel to our computer screens... ("Align Working Plane with Current View")).  Otherwise, Screen Plane still persists "behind the scenes" in all hybrid objects, and is the only way to draw in the 2D Component of a hybrid symbol.

So the inability to turn off legacy 2D features in older files, especially when there are no screen plane objects in the drawing space, and very especially when everything has been deleted from the file, definitely seems like a bug.

I contacted Tech Support about this in December and sent them files, and I submitted it as a bug in January.  So, you know... good luck.   

• Like 1

Wow, I do believe I've just solved the problem of the inability to disable legacy 2D features... ... ... (or at least I seem to have discovered one solution...)

The warning dialogue box says "Cannot disable legacy 2D features because the drawing contains screen plane objects and/or saved views with unified view settings."  Yet even after deleting all objects and all saved views from the file, it's still impossible to disable legacy 2D features.  And even after deleting absolutely everything (classes, layers, sheets, resources, etc.) from the file, it's still impossible.

'Cause it's not an object in the file or a saved view.  It's a document setting.  Cropped Perspective.  Turn off cropped perspective, and then (assuming the conditions of the warning dialogue are met, and assuming there aren't other rogue settings), then legacy 2D features can be disabled!  Hallelujah!

Well, except that now, evidently, we can't frame our perspectives in order to compose them... ( https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/87782-no-screen-plane-in-2022/page/2/#comment-434018 )  (VWIS233)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, willofmaine said:

'Cause it's not an object in the file or a saved view.  It's a document setting.  Cropped Perspective.  Turn off cropped perspective, and then (assuming the conditions of the warning dialogue are met, and assuming there aren't other rogue settings), then legacy 2D features can be disabled!  Hallelujah!

OMG

I will try this !

2 hours ago, willofmaine said:

Turn off cropped perspective, and then (assuming the conditions of the warning dialogue are met, and assuming there aren't other rogue settings), then legacy 2D features can be disabled!  Hallelujah!

That was it, did the trick for me. Must have had that turned off already in the very first file I successfully turned off Legacy 2D.

They need to update the dialogue window text.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 2