lost work

Susanna

Question

Hi, I have been annotating a drawing in a sheet layer and it has completely disappeared! 

The drawing is still on the design layer but the viewport has vanished from the face of the earth

I do not know what I did but I fear I have lost a lot of work

In the back up file there is only one back up and it is exactly the same

where can I find previous versions of this drawing? does vwks create multiple earlier backups?

please help as I am desperate!!!!!

9 answers to this question

I don’t know regarding VW backup file, but if you’re on Mac and have Time Machine enabled you might have a copy there.  Similarly, if you have cloud backup (eg Backblaze) it might also have a recent backup. 

another possibility if you accidentally deleted the SLVP would be to see if repeated undos get it back. 

Edited by E|FA
Undo

just checked, my autosave was set to one copy and this was the same as the file so looks like work is lost forever

i have done control z and it does not take me back to solve the problem

thank you all for you help on this 

looks like it is gong to be a long night doing it all again

If you didn’t have the multiple backup settings in place, then VW didn’t save any more.  See my comment regarding other possible backups, and try multiple undos before you do anything else with the file. Good luck.  

For the future, I recommend a multiple backup approach.  I have an external drive for VW backups and I let it save a ton of them. Every so often I clear out the old stuff to free up space.  I set save to backup every 20 actions, and have 20 undos available.  That seems to balance performance slowing caused by increased undo number and frequency of disk access, and I can always recover work one way or the other. 

AND I’m backing up locally to Time Machine and to the cloud via Backblaze as another safety net and for all non VW files.