Exporting 2D DWGs of Elevations and Section derived from a Model

shorter

I have to say, I am hugely impressed by the quality of 2D output from elevations and sections generated by Vectorworks from a BIM model, or any model for that matter.

Even more so the fact that the elevation or section can be issued as 2D DWG in modelspace.

Of course, how one models has an impact on the quality of the elevation, but thus far, the output is great, and it's coordinated!

Issuing 2D elevations and sections, as we want to see them, and have them seamlessly slot into model views generated by another software, whatever the software, is effortless.

Share only what you need to.  Share for the right reasons, not because you can or because technology dictates.

Right Data, Right Reason.

This is 'Totaal' BIM!

• Like 2

Ha! I bet.

i remember the first time we did a model of any size (from memory was around 8 buildings of between 5-8 storeys plus a tower of around 15 storeys, the elevations were excellent if a little slow rendering due to the excessive detail (3mm joints modelled on a 1:100 elevation…) and hardware that was already beyond it’s sell by date.  Ditto the white card rendering.

because they were modelled with care (not by me, I might add but by my trainees) the elevations benefitted as a consequence.

never has the SISO acronym been more pertinent!

@Christiaan said I said it cannot be done.

You said " you bet".

I felt unjustly accused! 

Where did I say that issuing plans and sections in VW cannot be done?

That's the one thing VW does better than any other app, I do have quite a problem with the objects generating above mentioned plans and sections, so do you -both- and any architect in this list, BTW.

😋

I don’t like the stair tool. I don’t like how it sections or elevates. I don’t like how it looks in plan. There is a simple solution to this.

I don’t use it.

A modelled stair and hybrid symbol not only gives me a sense of enormous well-being (I like designing staircases) but it does exactly what I want it to do.  I can pass on the supposed benefits of parametricism because that’s just a gimic of the age we live in. Stairs should be designed.

i don’t like the fact that hatches on slabs don’t rotate so again I don’t apply hatches to slabs.

otherwise most of the issues in terms of 2d rendition are down to bad modelling and over detailing and the software, generally, is not responsible for that.

2 hours ago, _c_ said:

@Christiaan said I said it cannot be done.

You said " you bet".

I felt unjustly accused! 

Where did I say that issuing plans and sections in VW cannot be done?

That's the one thing VW does better than any other app, I do have quite a problem with the objects generating above mentioned plans and sections, so do you -both- and any architect in this list, BTW.

😋

This is the discussion I had in mind:

Not "can't be done" admittedly—my apologies—but rather "1:100 is the practical limit"!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shorter said:

I don’t like the stair tool. I don’t like how it sections or elevates. I don’t like how it looks in plan. There is a simple solution to this.

I don’t use it.

A modelled stair and hybrid symbol not only gives me a sense of enormous well-being (I like designing staircases) but it does exactly what I want it to do.  I can pass on the supposed benefits of parametricism because that’s just a gimic of the age we live in. Stairs should be designed.

I'm coming around to this idea but I don't think it's a gimmick to be able to amend floor or slab levels and have the stair amend itself with very little intervention. That can be quite a time saver. Even more so when you're quickly iterating designs at concept stage and changing layouts.

What I think I'd like is for the stair and the railing to be separate tools. It doesn't make any sense to me that these are in the same tool; railings can carry on beyond stairs and having them in the stair tool just makes it more cumbersome.

The more I model with Vectorworks the more I want to break things down into separate elements so that there are less variables to think about when modelling a particular element. With roofs and slabs it's pretty easy to break things down into internal finishes, structure and external finishes. Walls not so much. But it makes perfect sense to me that the railings of a stair would be far easier to model if they were a separate tool that did the job well instead of being thrown in with the stair tool.

I feel an enhancement request coming on.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

I'm coming around to this idea but I don't think it's a gimmick to be able to amend floor or slab levels and have the stair amend itself with very little intervention. That can be quite a time saver. Even more so when you're quickly iterating designs at concept stage and changing layouts.

how often do you change floor to floor height?

and when you do do you not find the fact that it adds any additional treads to the bottom and not equalise the flights?

20 hours ago, shorter said:

@_c_ simple… you don’t. Multiple buildings should not be exported as a single ifc. Models should only contain one building and exported separately. Standard clause in all BEPs I have ever seen.

si, exactly.

I was referring to this discussion, where I indeed said "it cannot be done": 

• Like 2
On 12/15/2021 at 11:20 AM, shorter said:

how often do you change floor to floor height?

Enough for it to come in handy when we do. A project I'm working on at the moment has multiple steps down the slope of a street and we have 12 sheets of sections. We had to urgently amend the structural slab level to substitute screedboard for bonded flooring and it was a blessing to be able to do this by amending the slab levels and making a few minor amendments to stair objects.

On 12/15/2021 at 11:20 AM, shorter said:

and when you do do you not find the fact that it adds any additional treads to the bottom and not equalise the flights?

The stair object is by no means a perfect tool to work with but it can still save time if you know its idiosyncrasies. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shorter said:

You only need to model to 1:100 to coordinate models with consultants.

Are we now in for a sterile discussion?

Others [for example us] might need it, I am afraid. 

We speak about generated sections or elevations from shipped objects. That's something particular, different than coordinating models. That's standard plans and sections, no matter how you get them, they must comply to the environment they are to be used into.

[deleted. This is indeed so useless]

Edited by _c_

I think the line between modelling for the production of drawings, and modelling for coordination are blurred.

If you need to show, for example, a tap in elevation, you could model it.  However, you do not need to issue it for coordination.  All I need is the space required to operate the tap to make sure I don't design something that impedes someone from operating the tap.

Therefore the model needs to deliver at multiple levels.  However, we tend to assume that what we model does both.

As a consequence models get huge, filled with unnecessary information, like cable trays and their fixings at 1;1.  I simply do not need to receive a model that detailed.  I need to know what space the cable tray will occupy, and that's it, just as a consultant does not need to know the build up of my partitions.  They just need to know there is a wall there.