Viewports and Page Scale

buz

The topic just about says it all. I have made a cropped Viewport of a bathroom floor plan, it is only the exterior walls. I planned to 'finish' the drawing in the Viewport.

My design layer 'Main Floor Plan' is 1/8" = 1'. On my Sheet layer 'Bathroom Crop' when I draw in the interior walls they seem to be in real world units (not sure the term here) - essentially the wall width is wider than the bathroom itself. I am using the Wall Tool and have used 'Select Wall Type' to select a 2x4x96" wood stud wall.

What am I doing wrong? Wish I had had time to get this on the forum this afternoon when the problem 'cropped' (ha - no pun) up. Could have finished this evening. Oh well.

TIA

The OIP will control the scale of the viewport. The sheet is always at 1:1.

If you draw on the sheet, you will be drawing at 1:1. If you wish to draw at the scale of the viewport, you must use the annotation mode.

Double click on the viewport and you will be given a dialog box.

Sounds like you are drawing on the sheet and not in the annotation mode.

Kevin - You were right on - thanks. Of course I'm working through a bit of a curve here ..... where will I find info regarding the three options in the edit viewport mode (crop, annotations, design layer) that describes the purpose of each mode.

Any idea if it's in the CD Learning Series? Or maybe the manual? Online help. Any pointers (directional to read/study the info) is appreciated.

Buz,

Possibilities:

1) Pull down the Help menu, select What's This? Then select Create Viewport from the Views menu.

2) Check out chapter 20 of the VW manual.

3) To actually understand how to efficiently use Viewports, you might consider Jonathan Pickup's Essential Vectorworks manual.

4) Ask a lot of questions! Can I just (strongly) recommend you do as little drawing in Viewports as necessary. To use your ideas above, if you want to create a bathroom detail separately, perhaps you could place a layer link of the Main Floor Plan on your Bathroom Detail (design) layer. Set the Scale to whatever you'd like and then trace/fill in the details. When you're done, delete the layer link.

My personal preference would be to simply turn on the Bathroom layer *and* the Main Floor plan layer (make sure the Bathroom layer is above in the stack, and set to the same scale ? Layers dialog). Zoom in and draw on the Bathroom layer.

THEN create a viewport on the sheet layer that links to the Bathroom design layer. After setting scale and classes as you want, go into Annotations and place your dimensions, notes, callouts, etc.

This might at least get you started.

Good luck,

The three options are simple: CROP allows you to adjust the size and/or shape of the CROP (the object used to create/define the boundaries of the VP in the first place). ANNOTATIONS allows you to 'enter' the VP to add things such as dimensions, notes, or actual details. When you are drawing in the annotations you are drawing at the scale of the VP. DESIGN LAYER takes you back to the original design layer from which the VP was cropped. Hope that helps ;-)

Travis - I appreciate the pointers - If I follow your preference (and I think I do) it sounds like the logical method. This portion of the project is the simplest, so a good place to familiarize better with viewports.

Thanks again.