Finder window not appearing when exporting PDF

BSD

Question

Hi there,

I'm not sure how I've done this but on my Mac I go to export a PDF from V-works and once I click 'Export' in 'Export PDF' window the finder window does not appear for me to then select save location and name/save file.... The finder window was previously spreading across two screens and I was unable to resize. Now it just doesn't appear at all. Help!

8 answers to this question

I've just been troubleshooting this problem with another Mac user today and determined the solution for this particular symptom in Vectorworks. - If you're experiencing this with other applications, they will likely be affected by their own .plist files. 

1. Quit Vectorworks. 
  2. In Finder, choose 'Go to Folder…'
  3. Paste in ~Library/Preferences/
  4. Delete file net.nemetschek.vectorworks.plist - Note: It does not have any year / version number in the name. Carefully distinguish this file from the others like it. 
  5. Empty the Bin / Trash. 
  6. Restart your Mac. 
Edited by Jeremy Best
Improving specificity
  • Like 2

Hi Jeremy,

Another quick one - After exporting a handful of drawings today I've noticed the finder window that opens for me to then select the save location has stared to get wider and for some reason I can increase its width and height but am unable to reduce size in any way. Is this linked to the issue you helped me solve?

Sorry for the delayed reply @BSD, (the primary tasks of my role warrant first attention). One of my users had this symptom in other software as well. The solution should (in theory) be the same for each, but you'd have to identify which .plist file contained that data. (I just browsed the Vectorworks ones and looked for labels that made sense). 

This is not confirmed, but I believe the issue is due to software not being 100% adapted to macOS Monterey, corrupting its own .plist files when it updates them. This explains why getting rid of the Vectorworks .plist file fixes the issue but also, why it can come back. Just keep applying the above instructions/fix until all applicable software developers have updated their software to prevent it.