Show Object in Wall ONLY?

Can anyone think of a way, using classes, to show only an object (door in this case) in a wall? From a Viewport, for one section, I'd like to show a door without the surrounding line of the wall. Right now, I'm drawing a masking white line over the wall line. . .since I don't think there's a way to turn off the wall's class without also turning off everything "in" the wall.

Thanks all,

Often when doing WD's I use the tried and true 2d drawing method, but with one special helper: the 3d model. I have discovered, through trial and error, that if I want to show a window or door in elevation (or 'beyond' in a section or int elev) there is an easy way: 1) In plan view select the PIO, 2) Hit Command-D, 3) Go to the view you want to show (eg: front, left, etc), 4) With the PIO still selected go to TOOL>CONVERT TO POLYS. 5) Go back to plan view and Voila! All you need to do now is properly place the (nearly perfect) 2d (converted) PIO in 2d space. Maybe that will help. If not, at least I tried:-)

Thanks, Robert. The logic, of course, makes sense. . .until you want to get around it!

Peter, so do you leave the 2D "object" on the plan/model layer and assign it to a different class? (So it shows only when "turned on") Or do you then place it on your WD layer? Is it possible to group objects both within and outside of Robert's "container"? I might just try that.

I'm trying to find out how far I can push the "live" section concept with classes & stacked viewports (so I can control line wieghts). I'm actually much closer to satisfaction than I first anticipated.

Travis, for now I generally use 3d exclusively in the DESIGN stage, then I can generate all my PLAN VIEWS quite easily from what I've already done (by using layers/classes/VP's), but for SECTIONS & EXT ELEVS I still resort to the 'old fashioned' 2d views for two reasons: 1) I am still not *quite* happy with the grapics, and I can do better in 2d, and; 2) I do not quite trust the ROOF objects to give me entirely accurate SECTIONAL info, and I I guess I just need to prove it to myself by going through the old school exercises. That said, you should know that 2 of my 4 active jobs at the moment include elements such as 30? angles which require some VERY complicated roof designs, so...:-)