Roof Objects vs. Rocket Scientists

willofmaine

Question

Possibly against my better judgment, I'm trying to learn how to use the Roof Object and Roof Styles.  It's been an uphill battle... like trying to climb up a 16:12 roof without a rope...

So I started from scratch in a blank file with four un-styled walls and an un-styled Roof.  Finally, I was able to (mostly) make sense out of things.  Then I proceeded with a Roof using (a Vectorworks default) Roof Style, and things went downhill from there (yeah, I fell off the roof), as I could not for the life of me control the fascia or soffit.  Ultimately I concluded that if I consider the Bearing Height and the Bearing Inset to be entirely meaningless, and set the Inset to 0" and manually position the roof at the desired height, I could get the Roof and its fascia to work.  The soffit seems to be an entirely lost cause.  See attached file for the progression of my attempts to get the Roof to work.  What am I missing?!?  @Christiaan and @Gadzooks, you guys seem like the rocket scientists of Roofs... maybe you have some answers?  Thanks!!  -Will

04-Roof Object Issues.vwx

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

I'm definitely no rocket scientist of roof objects! Most of our projects have flat roofs so roof objects are one of those things I need to relearn every time I go near them, including by looking over my previous posts on the forum! This is especially the case given that the roof tool is unintuitive and hasn't been modernised. It's the kind of thing you get when programmers design in assumptions without a good knowledge of architecture. In fact your analysis file strikes me as a good basis for an enhancement request.

The first thing I usually do when using the Roof tool is to break it down into Roof Faces as soon as practicable. I find roof faces easier to work with. And on a recent project I took that one step further and broken things down further, into separate Roof Face objects (on separate layers) for each of the following elements:

• external finishes (tiles, tile battens, counter battens)
  • structure (OSB deck, rafters)
  • and where applicable internal finishes (batten + plasterboard).

This provides more intuitive control over each of these elements because there are less variables to worry about and you can focus on the relationship of each element to the walls separately. On the downside you have many more objects to manage. And, of course, Roof Faces don't support fascias and soffits.

But I wonder if you might try modelling your roof with two Roof objects (not something I've tried). One for the main structure (rafters) and one for the purlins + sheathing + standing seam. That might provide more intuitive control when it comes to bearing, soffits, fascias, etc. You would add the fascia + soffit to the structural roof object. You might have to experiment whether you add the purlins to the structure or the finishes.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 4

IMO, pitched roofs is another messy implementation of a tool VW knew they had to provide to users to be regarded as a 'professional' solution.

As you're finding out - its far from.

Meanwhile, deep in the basement of VW HQ, the memo that had "please sort the roof tool out" was buried by a new group of memos - one labelled 'bells' and its sibling 'whistles'.

@Christiaan and I have both struggled with some of the 'quirky' results using the tool can produce. His advice to break to Roof Faces is the action I'd love not to do, but I always have to,  just to start to make sensible resolution of the geometry. (Christiaan - "well Mr Client, I know you said you wanted a spectacular multi pitched roof over your development, but have you considered the simplicity of a lovely flat roof? Please, please, please.....")

I usually prepare a roof to look OK in straight (uncomplicated) elevations for submission to the client and Planning etc. The pitch and cover together with the resultant hips, ridges, valleys etc is enough to 'describe' the design. The detail always has to be drawn later - there's no way you're going to get a decent eaves detail from a section through a basic roof. However - many good roof companies will take your basics and return very detailed set-outs and fabrication drawings, so the option to provide 'design intent' can be preferable.

@TomW (just replied as I'm am tapping away) Big up on your experiences/advice.

Additionally, I would say its great to have the time (and fee) to break it down, as Christiaan says, and be able to even use the framing tool to get you part way (yes, its always part way with VW) to a detailed construction that can be peeled back (via hidden classes/layers etc) to impressive illustrations, understandable to clients.

See @Jonathan Reeves7 YT's.

Hope you get to feel you're more in control.

• Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
9 hours ago, willofmaine said:

Possibly against my better judgment, I'm trying to learn how to use the Roof Object and Roof Styles.  It's been an uphill battle... like trying to climb up a 16:12 roof without a rope...

So I started from scratch in a blank file with four un-styled walls and an un-styled Roof.  Finally, I was able to (mostly) make sense out of things.  Then I proceeded with a Roof using (a Vectorworks default) Roof Style, and things went downhill from there (yeah, I fell off the roof), as I could not for the life of me control the fascia or soffit.  Ultimately I concluded that if I consider the Bearing Height and the Bearing Inset to be entirely meaningless, and set the Inset to 0" and manually position the roof at the desired height, I could get the Roof and its fascia to work.  The soffit seems to be an entirely lost cause.  See attached file for the progression of my attempts to get the Roof to work.  What am I missing?!?  @Christiaan and @Gadzooks, you guys seem like the rocket scientists of Roofs... maybe you have some answers?  Thanks!!  -Will

04-Roof Object Issues.vwx 3.82 MB · 12 downloads

Thank you, Will, for the file and laying out the issues!

While I believe most of these are known issues, I entered a bug (VB-184305) with the file to get this closer on the radar.

• Like 4

Okay!  Thank you all for your responses!!  And it looks like, as they say, "it's not just me" that finds the Roof object, er, somewhat perplexing...

Historically I've paid little attention to wall and slab components and I've done my detailing entirely in 2D, and I've exclusively used Roof Faces, always modeling the eave and rake trim separately.

But a client's question has prompted me to explore the "BIM" approach of interactive walls, slabs and roofs and the possibilities of generating details based on their components.  While I pretty much knew from the start that the fascia and soffit accessories were of little value, I at least wanted to understand how they, and more importantly the Roof object in general, worked, all to the end of getting a Roof's components to interact with a wall (as depicted here: https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2022/eng/VW2022_Guide/Roofs/Creating roof_components.htm#h ).

I think I've got a handle on slabs and walls, but it looks like Roofs can only be part of a hybrid approach that would also include Roof Faces, 3D modeling, and/or 2D detailing/cleanup.

9 hours ago, Christiaan said:

It's the kind of thing you get when programmers design in assumptions without a good knowledge of architecture. 

Yep.

9 hours ago, Christiaan said:

But I wonder if you might try modelling your roof with two Roof objects (not something I've tried). 

What I typically do (though with un-styled Roof Faces) is create the "upper" roof (typically about 1", representing, say, the sheathing and asphalt shingles) and then the "lower" roof (representing everything from the bottom of the finish ceiling to the top of the structure) (again, "components" are addressed with 2D details).  This leaves the eaves and rakes entirely free of any geometry other than what I'll model for them.

7 hours ago, Tom W. said:

...you just reach a point where you can’t take things any further + you have to live with something that's unfinished/unsatisfactory. 

So, pretty much just like any other Vectorworks PIO...

7 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Setting up the component offsets is another massive palaver

Ha ha, "palaver," - great word!  I'd never heard it before (too busy fighting with VWs...).  I'm not surprised at the many issues that you have with the Roof and even Roof Faces... especially given my experience with just four walls and a simple hip roof...

6 hours ago, Gadzooks said:

Meanwhile, deep in the basement of VW HQ, the memo that had "please sort the roof tool out" was buried by a new group of memos - one labelled 'bells' and its sibling 'whistles'.

Yep.

6 hours ago, Gadzooks said:

"well Mr Client, I know you said you wanted a spectacular multi pitched roof over your development, but have you considered the simplicity of a lovely flat roof? Please, please, please....."

Form follows CAD...

3 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Thank you, Will, for the file and laying out the issues!

While I believe most of these are known issues, I entered a bug (VB-184305) with the file to get this closer on the radar.

Excellent, thanks Matt!!

• Like 3

Roof tool - useless except for very low level of detail at small scale

Roof face tool - somewhat useful sometimes, borderline whether it saves much pain compared to modelling from scratch. I sometimes use two or three roof face objects (ceiling, internal components, external layer) on top of each other as others have described upthread.

And yes the roof face tool is a classic example of vectorworks 90% functional = 90% useless. With some improvements it could become much more useful.

1 hour ago, line-weight said:

Roof tool - useless except for very low level of detail at small scale

I wouldn't describe it as useless. Admittedly my roofs are very simple affairs but I do manage a lot of the time to get something passable from the Roof Tool + if anything I think I prefer it to Roof Faces. You just very quickly reach the limit of what you can achieve with it + it's quite a slow painful process getting there. But I think with a bit of TLC it could become something really powerful + useful.

This is a recent Roof:

1499531136_Screenshot2021-12-17at14_43_53.thumb.png.655b17b3cc109126891ed9c1cd5b50da.png

355754979_Screenshot2021-12-17at14_44_26.thumb.png.b196089e662b0934ed2725356c743115.png

The wall plates, purlins + ridge board were overlaid in annotations but everything else was the Roof + Wall tools. The eaves detail is far from perfect but not to the extent that I'd completely write it off.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

The wall plates, purlins + ridge board were overlaid in annotations but everything else was the Roof + Wall tools.

Nice.

Also you were lucky to choose one of the best looking chair type for Sections

when seen at a 45° angle 🙂

At first I thought these Chair Symbols were custom made,

until I saw the office chair 🙂

11 hours ago, zoomer said:

Nice.

Also you were lucky to choose one of the best looking chair type for Sections

when seen at a 45° angle 🙂

At first I thought these Chair Symbols were custom made,

until I saw the office chair 🙂

Ha ha the other thing that catches me out is all the different line colours used in these symbols, which you only discover when you render them in Hidden Line. You're trying to finish your sheets + find you have to go back to the symbols + edit the geometry + make all the lines black. Then remember to resave the edited symbol in your Favorites so the same thing doesn't happen again next time...

• Like 1