Is an activate 'None' Class keyboard shortcut possible?

I've slowly revising my workflow to make more use of the 'None' class for top level groups and symbols.

I would have liked to group it with my other non-specific classes and prefix it with a '00-' to bring it right up to the top of the class navigation list and all class pop-up menus.

But we aren't allowed to rename it...and alphabetically 'N' is lost right in the middle... which leaves me searching up and down the popup menus for it.

This has left me wondering, can I make a keyboard shortcut to make 'None' the class active without scrolling through all my classes?

• 1 year later...
On 12/11/2021 at 6:31 PM, scottmoore said:

I have a script with a shortcut assigned to my StreamDeck so it’s just a button push to activate the none class. Quite handy. 

That sounds great! I was just thinking of a streamdeck integration where I list the most used layers and classes on the bottom rows and then the most used tools above. That’ll make it easy to write and create on specific layers and classes more easily.

It would also be super nice to assign specific tools and objects to specific, pre-defined, classes and layers so that when I add a truss for instance, it automatically goes to the Rigging layer. And so on. Is this even doable?

many thanks!

On 11/2/2023 at 4:59 PM, MartinBlomberg said:

That sounds great! I was just thinking of a streamdeck integration where I list the most used layers and classes on the bottom rows and then the most used tools above. That’ll make it easy to write and create on specific layers and classes more easily.

It would also be super nice to assign specific tools and objects to specific, pre-defined, classes and layers so that when I add a truss for instance, it automatically goes to the Rigging layer. And so on. Is this even doable?

many thanks!

Not entirely sure how to do some of this with a StreamDeck, however, this is a great usage for saved views. When you save a “saved view” it doesn’t have to save the view orientation at all. Of course you can if you want to, but what is really cool is setting up the layers and classes you want visible AND which layers and classes are ACTIVE as well as the layer/class option settings.

In your template, you would just go to your saved view “Trussing” and start dropping in truss. Because you saved the proper information, the symbol automatically assigns to the “truss” class on the “rigging” layer. Go to the “hoist” saved view and any hoists inserted will be in the right class and layer. This process ensures all the correct embedded classes are on/off as well. no more “why aren’t my label legends showing up?”  Keep going with “flown lighting”, “floor lighting”, “audio”, “video” “staging” etc saved views and your workflow gets streamlined really quickly.

Spend an afternoon creating these saved views in your template and you will be amazed at how much quicker you can get things done. Side note: that is why I have the “none class” tool on my StreamDeck. Since various classes have been made active at any time in my workflow, sometimes I just need to go back to the none class to create a symbol. Just a key press now. 

I get dozens of VWX files from all sorts of people and hardly any of them ever have saved views. How much time do people spend turning things on and off to work on a drawing?  Maybe people just leave everything on all the time?