Classes for Architect

mespinos

Hi I'm new to Architect and find it extremely fun to use, but I'm finding that I dont want to learn completely from trail and error. Therefore, I'm trying to find a course that is offered at a local school. I'm living in the San Francisco bay area. Now I have been to the Nemeschek web site and saw listings of schools but when I checked the list needed some updating or possilby that was not the intention of the list. I'm not interested in a 2 day seminar due to its cost. Any help appricated. Thanks

FWIW - trial and error will get you going pretty quick if you just hang in there and 'do it'.

There are some good tutorial books as well, not to mention the learning cd's that nemetschek puts out.

I haven't had a class yet and while I am not an architect, I have found it very easy to use for my needs.

Good luck and enjoy.

I write training manuals for VectorWorks and for Architect. The manuals are designed to teach you. They don?t just cover how to use VectorWorks I try to give your the benefit of my experience as well. The people that have bought my manuals have found then to be good value for money (even at the cost...)

there are demos of my manuals on line...

Thanks for the info. Let me ask you Archoncad does your manuals show how to make detail drawings for houses? That is my ultimate goal, to have detail drawings I can hand off to the contractor. I'm not so worried about wiring, but plumbing and air ducts, foundations (slab with footings) etc. But I'm sure wherever you go a std set of drawings doesnt change much for you basic house. I guess that is the usual stuff but I dont see a systamatic approach in the most of the manuals I've seen. Thanks for listening. Marke

Marke,

Jonathan's manuals do a marvelous job of teaching the program from an architect's perspective, but they're teaching about the software. . .not how to be an architect.

If you've looked at many different house plans, you'll soon realize there are many "styles" of presentation by various architects and designers. Basically you need a plan with dimensions, a few 'views' in elevation (typically called elevations and sections), and enough details (just how does A fit with B?) to get the message across.

You'll learn a lot using the Archoncad manuals, including a bit about architectural presentation, and I would recommend them for your situation. But I'd also study as many sets of house plans as I could get my hands on until you begin to formulate how to convey the ideas in your head to the contractor who'll build them. (Personally, I think everyone who anticipates creating building plans should FIRST have to construct buildings for a few years! . . .in my perfect world. . .)

Good luck,

[ 03-01-2005, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Travis ]

Thanks Travis on your recommendation of Jonathan's manuals. Yes, I think your right software doesn?t teach how to be an architect. I hope I didn?t get misunderstood, I?ve drawn quite a bit but haven?t had an architect software cad program since the 1990?s. I went the mechanical engineering route instead but always missed drawing homes. I also worked my way thru college working for my Dad?s construction company. It was my assumption that programs have progress to the point that allows creativity as well as systemic approaches to not leave out any of the details for simpler drawings.

To comment further about the perfect world, I agree it would be good to have architects that create the plans to be hands on for a few years, but that won?t happen, not in the academic world it has to happen in the Architect firms with good apprentice programs. I rambled on long enough. FYI: I did complete the manual by Louis Smith and Ray Massaccesi called Vectorworks by Project, its not bad but has several mistakes that can lead you astray if your not careful.