2022 Wall Hole Component in symbol fail in walls with doors and windows (?)

michaelk

Question

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Michael,

14 hours ago, michaelk said:

I'm seeing a different behavior in wall hole components of symbols in 2022 vs 2021.

Thanks for including the simple files.

Yes.  I see the problem in 2022 as well.

I'm using what I think of as the @Matt Panzer     method to subtract from the exterior component of a wall.

LOL!  I'm flattered, but also feeling the glares from our engineers. 😬

I only say that because wall holes in symbols were not really intended to be used this way.

That said, this problem could point to other issues in more intended cases.

Bug reported:

VB-184213 - Symbol Wall Hole geometry ignored by wall past wall joins and inserts

• Like 1

@Matt Panzer thanks for submitting this.  I would have submitted it myself but I wanted to rule out user error first 🙂

If it helps:  Having those symbols in the walls slows down wall reshaping (with the reshape tool), Fit Walls to Objects operations, editing doors and windows to a crawl.  This is a very very simple residence, but running Fit Walls to Objects on 4 walls takes about a minute with the Matt Panzer Symbol ™ inserted into the wall, and almost no time without it.

2019 16" MBP i9 

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeo Pro 5500M 8GB

I know this was an unintended feature, but I've found it to be super useful.  I hope it can be restored 🙂 

No problem @michaelk

While I do try to get users to submit bugs themselves, I do my best to put in ones I feel are related to (or impacted by) new features my team is working on in the current version.

As for the speed in 2022, that may be related to the way walls now store geometry.  Please feel free to submit a bug for that.  🙂 

14 hours ago, E|FA said:

I don't think there is a speed bug with wall in general in 2022.

There is for me. Noted & submitted in other threads and bug reports.

That bug has to do more with using wall closures though.  However, wall holes are related to some of the performance improvements we're investigating.

• Like 1
On 12/29/2021 at 4:15 AM, zeno said:

@Matt Panzer hello Mat, hope everything's well

please could you take a look to my Z88_Redshift hide symbols only on section view VB-184497?

I've been looking at the file but cannot get the viewports to render using RedShift at all.  Perhaps my hardware is not up to snuff...

In any case, it surely looks like a bug with Redshift since the other modes render correctly.

27 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Perhaps my hardware is not up to snuff...

On Windows it will only run on Nvidia GPUs (CUDA)

I have an AMD.

But it should render anyway, just in slow Software/CPU mode.

Not sure about Intel Macs.

AFAIK it will run on M1, but only if you have min 16 GB.

6 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

I've been looking at the file but cannot get the viewports to render using RedShift at all.  Perhaps my hardware is not up to snuff...

In any case, it surely looks like a bug with Redshift since the other modes render correctly.

sorry matt,

but both viewports are rendered with redshift with same settings and same class and layer visibility. Even hidden lines have the same issue only on section viewports. Seems it is something between symbols in walls and section viewport.

thanks