"Story aware" Walls in Symbols?

Folks, I may be way off base here, but am failing miserably, so this is either a request for help, or a feature request...

Working on a core for a 10-12 story building. Preferably the core is a symbol, so its the same all the way up. 

Symbol is "Story aware".

Walls drawn in the symbol are completely arbitrary on height as far as I can tell, with most being 0" tall.

I'm trying almost everything I can think of to make these walls make sense, but ideally, the walls would be truly story aware and respect the layer heights of the story the symbol is placed into.

For super extra credit, the stair tool would work in this same fashion, for obvious reasons.

So, how come my walls are 0 height? It appears the only way to set a wall's height is to set the component's top offset relative to the layer level? That's crazy.

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 2.45.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 2.46.05 PM.png

Another, possibly better, but with it's own limitations, technique to repeat geometry over a number of levels in a multi story building is to use design layer viewports instead of symbols.

I have used this successfully and haven't had the issues with wall heights. To do this you create a "base plan" and then create dlvp's of it, one for each repeating level. I would suggest putting each dlvp on it's own design layer and use the design layer elevation to control the height of the geometry so that the z height of the actual dlvp can stay at 0 in relation to it's dl.

Ask for more detail if you are interested in trying this out.

Cheers

• Like 1
11 hours ago, techdef said:

Folks, I may be way off base here, but am failing miserably, so this is either a request for help, or a feature request...

Working on a core for a 10-12 story building. Preferably the core is a symbol, so its the same all the way up. 

Symbol is "Story aware".

Walls drawn in the symbol are completely arbitrary on height as far as I can tell, with most being 0" tall.

I'm trying almost everything I can think of to make these walls make sense, but ideally, the walls would be truly story aware and respect the layer heights of the story the symbol is placed into.

For super extra credit, the stair tool would work in this same fashion, for obvious reasons.

So, how come my walls are 0 height? It appears the only way to set a wall's height is to set the component's top offset relative to the layer level? That's crazy.

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 2.45.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 2.46.05 PM.png

I believe that once you place a wall within a symbol it will no longer recognise layer wall heights or story levels so you need to set the heights manually.

• Like 2

@techdef this isn't something I've really used myself as my models haven't called for it but I believe that how you might approach it is to have all the external Walls + the Slabs outside of the symbols + these be Level-bound, then have repeating internal walls, furniture, fittings, etc as symbols where yes you have to set the wall heights manually but this is outweighed by the benefit of being able to repeat the symbol multiple times across the same level + then across other levels. That symbol might only include 4 or 5 walls so not too much work to then adjust their heights if needed + this then be applied across all the symbols. I guess it depends on the nature of the building + how many repeating units you have within it.

9 hours ago, techdef said:

I think "story aware" is not quite the right term for this.

The 'story aware' settings in the 'Symbol Options' dialog relate to the height the symbol is inserted at within the model rather than the heights of the PIOs within the symbol.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, techdef said:

Am I the only one who would use this?

No, I can see why what you want would be useful.

I'm assuming that your core runs through multiple storeys that don't necessarily have the same floor-floor height, and that's why you can't just set the height of the walls manually? And I assume you want to keep the walls within the symbol so that if you move, say, a door opening position at one level, it's replicated across all levels.

My solution to this might be to have a symbol where the wall was set to the lowest wall height needed on any of the storeys, and then on storeys where the floor-floor height was greater and hence gaps were left, I'd manually add sections of wall spanning between the top of one symbol and the bottom of the one above. And I'd hope that all repeating door, window openings etc could be contained within the portions of wall that were in the symbol.