Troubleshooting Wall tool VW20222

Todd Drucker

Question

Hello,

We've been using VW2022 BIM and have been happy about the newest version (thank you for the progress bar)

That being said, we discovered something that's off with the wall tool. 

Our walls are typically bounded from TO slab to BO of slab via story heights and the 3D display of the wall is correct, however, it projects the 2D graphics to the 0-plane in the z axis. This is true on all floors. 

A quick fix is to copy and paste the walls, however, when we reload the project file, the same glitch occurs. 

We're not sure if it's an error in the setup of walls on our end, or if this is something the VWX team is aware of. Would appreciate some insight.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.31.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.32.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.32.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.32.29 AM.png

9 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Todd Drucker,

I took a look at the files you submitted and have some questions.

1. I assume this project was created in a previous version of Vectorworks and brought forward to 2022?
    If so, were all changes checked in from working files before moving to VW 2022?
  2. In its current state in VW 2022, it looks like all "Floor Layout" layers are checked out by someone.  When you tried resetting the walls (via Cut and Paste) was it in the working file that had them all checked out?  If so, did you commit them to the project file and they still show flay when later opened in the working file?

As for fixing the problem, I would try the following steps:

1. Check out the layers containing the problem walls.
  2. Select the problem walls.
  3. Use the Move command and move them by (0, 0) to force a reset.
  4. Save and Commit the changes to the project file.

@Matt Panzer, nice to meet you. @sbarrett has helped us tremendously over the past 2 years. We started this model in June 2021. I believe we upgrades to VWX 2022 early on as recommended by Sarah. It helped with a lot of our initial troubleshooting.

This ultimately didn't affect our workflow as it was mainly noticed when moving around in 3D. Rather than copy and pasting, we noticed if we click the and bound and select the same field it will properly generate.

From time to time it still graphically displays in the way the screenshot shows, but we learned to ignore it since it doesn't affect our coordinating ability since all 2D information and IFC transfer look proper on the other end.

Kind regards,

TD

• Like 1

@Matt Panzer

Hey Matt,

We're producing sections and this is still a nuisance. 

We modified the walls and they still revert back to this flattened state. We've tried copy and pasting and moving to 0,0,0. We notice that any modification will regenerate the walls to correct location, but after S&C, the problem reappears.

Our walls export properly to our consultants with IFCm, but our model still flattens everything. Doors in walls are in their respective location relative to the story, but the walls themselves are flattened. 

The corresponding section from the clip cube attached shows the doors, but not the walls, with all layers turned on.

Any other ideas how to fix this?

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 10.26.45 AM.png

@Matt Panzer,

Thanks for getting back. Our temporary fix is to change any parameter (cut and paste / move 0,0,0 / change bounds will all regenerate the walls properly), however, this fix usually gets override when the next user S&C.

Would sharing the file help? You may email me **@gkvarchitects.com. Feel free to send a PM or have Sarah Barrett provide GKV's BIM team's contacts. We last discussed this with her via email in Mid December, but never were able to resolve this.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Todd Drucker said:

@Matt Panzer,

Thanks for getting back. Our temporary fix is to change any parameter (cut and paste / move 0,0,0 / change bounds will all regenerate the walls properly), however, this fix usually gets override when the next user S&C.

Would sharing the file help? You may email me **@gkvarchitects.com. Feel free to send a PM or have Sarah Barrett provide GKV's BIM team's contacts. We last discussed this with her via email in Mid December, but never were able to resolve this.

@Todd Drucker,

I have a file from Sarah but cannot reproduce.

You say the problem happens after a S&C but I cannot reproduce it.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. Create a working file from the project file.
  2. check out walls and make changes.
  3. Save and commit.

At this point I don't see the issue.

Closing and reopening the working file also doesn't reproduce the issue.

Can you tell me what steps to take to reproduce this?

@Matt Panzer,

Thank you for the response and happy Friday.

I can share the latest file via WeTransfer if you send us an email to show you how the walls are reading on our end. When we export them, the IFC is correct, just not on our screen. And it isn't every wall, but most.

Sarah described it as pancaking. 

We're not sure exactly what causes it, but if one person fixes it, it will reappear after a few save and commits. 

Our workaround to copy and paste walls works, just isn't permanent and takes time away from our production. 

On the bright side, it doesn't affect our plan workflow, but the walls are not showing up on section viewports, nor clip cube. The classes are on and objects in the wall (i.e. doors) are generating, just the walls are pancaking to the z-0.

TD