blue grid not displaying on new design layer

Elle

Hi, when opening new File, Design Layer-1 displays blue grid. When creating new design layer, blank background only. Under Tools, smart cursor settings, blue grid display ticked. Menu top bar, blue grid display option clicked. Even with snap grid and reference grid values set to the same amount, no grid showing. Has anyone got an idea, please? thanks

Scale is 1:100. When I change scale to 1:1 grid appears.... 

Screenshot (173).png

Edited by Elle

Hello, @Elle.

I think it has to do with your Zoom Level and Layer Scale combined. When you zoom out far enough at any grid setting, the grid will disappear at some point. Either Zoom In, or reduce your Layer Scale (or both) to see the reference grid. Consider how many grid lines you'd have on screen at 1/2" spacing, zoomed out to 29%, with a Layer Scale of 1:100 (numbers I gathered from your screen shot above.) I think your screen would be solid blue if all of the reference grid lines displayed. 

You can also change your reference grid to 36", or larger, if you need to work at that zoom and layer scale. Play with the settings. I believe you can find something that works for you.

HTH,

Raymond

• Like 2

The grid is still there and snaps are correct everywhere, but grid only displays in a small area around the center of view.

Extent of the grid may depend on your screen resolution, but definitely depends on grid spacing and zoom level.

My tests with your grid spacing (1/8" and 1/2"):

drawing at 1:1

• zoom 20% and above, grid displays
  • zoom back, grid hides.

Or, another way

• Draw/select a 28" circle and zoom to selection.  The grid displays.
  • Change the diam to 29" and zoom to selection.  The grid hides.

Drawing at 1/100

• zoom 2000% and above, grid displays
  • zoom less than 2000%, grid hides.
  • Same with zoom to circle

It's actually only the ref grid.   At 1:100, a 10" symmetrical reference grid hides below 100% zoom

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • Like 1