mac to windows compatibility problems?

bubbalauren

Our architecture firm is currently using PowerCADD and we are having a terrible time translating DWGs between windows users and us, the mac users. Objects jump all over the place and render the file practically useless. We have a Windows-based machine on hand to plot DWG files, but as communication relies more and more on electronic rather than paper means we really need a better program to translate these files to and from our consultants. Plus we can't work on each other's files when this happens!!!

Are there any translation problems with Vectorworks with DMG files? We are very seriously considering the switch to vectorworks, but it is pricey and will take some time to get used to so please be honest!!!!!

thanks

In my experience the DWG translation is pretty good. One just has to be mindful of not using the very few things in VW that don't have equivalents in DWG.

Where there have been problems it is more often than not due to intolerance or lack of nous at the AutoCAD end.

You would gain significantly more capability with VW, but you would lose some of the nice graphical abilities that PowerCADD has with the add-ons available.

I would love to see some of the more artistic drawing capability that PowerCADD has implemented in VectorWorls so that our drawing can look less sterile.

OK, I will be brazen enough to jump in here...

I am actually an... er.... ah.... AutoCAD user (pleae don't hit me [Eek!] )

I am using a demo of VW11 aand am very impressed with VW's import of a selected sample of out Acad files - espically the way Viewports are handled. "Plain" AutoCAD imports shou;d present little to no difficulty. IF, on the otherhand, the originating AutoCAD drawings contains "xref's" and eeven more so the they are 'clipped xref's' -you will have problems getting VW to look like what the AutoCAd users has (in terms of finished layout/plotted output).

As for the other direction, VW to Acad, well... sorry, can not save/export from the demo version.

This, though, maybe important, especially if the AutoCAD file has to round trip from "them" to "You" and backagain

I assume VW is using technology from the OpenDWG alliance. When you looka t what other are doing (e.g MicroStation), VW may/could be on the version of make a "true AutoCAD Compatible" CAd system for the Mac - No need (Ooops, generalization) for an Acad to MAc port as some wish for.

$0.02 worth (Canadian)

JimL