VW 2022 SP2 Menu Bar not working

Dennis Moore Jr.

Question

24 answers to this question

I have a work around that has been successful for me.

I open my VW Spotlight 2021 Service Pack 4.01 application, open a 2021 file.  I then open VW Spotlight 2022 from the applications folder, open a VW Spotlight 2022 based file.  The menu bar start to function as normal.  It is almost like the 2021 application shows the 2022 application how the menu bar is supposed to function. 

Try the above and let me know if you have any luck.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 12.38.18 PM.png

Edited by Dennis Moore Jr.

I provide Tech Support for the New Zealand distributor of Vectorworks. These are serious symptoms and if you cannot correct them by way of the standard processes (below) you submit directly to your distributor (if outside the US) or Vectorworks Inc if in the US. 

Given the severity of the disruption to your work and the nature of the symptom, skip the lesser possible fixes - like removing your current Vectorworks User Folder or the resetting Vectorworks preferences process - and go straight to a clean installation of Vectorworks: 

1. Close all apps.
  2. Make a copy or backup of your Vectorworks User Folder
  3. Uninstall Vectorworks using the dedicated Uninstall app found in the Vectorworks application folder. 
    1. ️ When prompted, allow Vectorworks to remove your User Folder / 'user preferences' because you've made a copy/backup of it. 
  4. Restart your computer for good measure. 
  5. Disable antivirus (if you have it). 
  6. Reinstall Vectorworks. 
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi everyone, we have been having difficulty figuring out the cause of this issue that a few users have reported on Monterey but we are still working to figure it out.

I would recommend updating your OS to the latest Monterey 12.1.  There are some reasons to think that this may resolve your issue.  If you decide to do this, please report back and let us know if this helps.

Here is some additional info:

Unfortunately, reinstalling VW will not help.  You can try closing and reopening the lid on your laptop.  Reports indicate this clears the issue in the meantime.  Another thing you can try is go into your computer's battery settings and try turning OFF the "automatic graphics switching" option and see if it helps.

Please see this thread for more info.

2 hours ago, nikihoops said:

Hi all

I've spoken with the tech team through my service select and they're looking into it. We tried a couple of things with no luck

I will report back if I get any updates.

Can you try going into System Preferences -> Displays.  And then in the dialog set your display to use a scaled value and pick something like "Larger Text" and hit OK at the prompt.  

Then go back to VW and see if the menus are working again.

If they are working, you should be able to switch your display setting back to the "Default for my display" setting.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Ian Lane said:

Can you try going into System Preferences -> Displays.  And then in the dialog set your display to use a scaled value and pick something like "Larger Text" and hit OK at the prompt.  

If they are working, you should be able to switch your display setting back to the "Default for my display" setting.

Hi Ian,

That seems to have worked!! How odd. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, nikihoops said:

Hi Ian,

That seems to have worked!! How odd. 

Great news, thanks for confirming!  It seems that somehow VW is getting confused about which monitor the main menu is being displayed on which is causing the menus not to work, even though all the menu shortcuts function, etc.

We are continuing to investigate this to try and figure out why it is happening.  Just be aware that it is entirely possible that the same problem will happen again until we figure out the problem.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

Hi,

We are a team of 6 designers. we all are upgrading to VW 2022 and opt for 30 days trail to check the quality.

we're also experiencing the same issue. "VW 2022 SP2 Menu Bar not working"

For the two designers who work with a single monitor have never experienced this issue, i work with dual monitor and i'm experiencing this issue all the time and can't do my job with VW 2022.

Please let us know if this issue is solved.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Rishie said:

Hi,

We are a team of 6 designers. we all are upgrading to VW 2022 and opt for 30 days trail to check the quality.

we're also experiencing the same issue. "VW 2022 SP2 Menu Bar not working"

For the two designers who work with a single monitor have never experienced this issue, i work with dual monitor and i'm experiencing this issue all the time and can't do my job with VW 2022.

Please let us know if this issue is solved.

Thanks!

if you do what Ian above suggested that works. I’ve not had to do it every time I open VW22 but a few times. It’s not a long term fix but it does resolve it for you to carry on and use VW22 in the meantime 

On 12/18/2021 at 7:17 PM, nikihoops said:

o what Ian above suggested that works. I’ve not had to do it every time I open VW22 but a few times. It’s not a long term fix but it does resolve it for you to carry on and use VW22 in the meantime 

Hi Niki,

I tried Lan's trick but i need to do it all the time whenever I opening the application. Even if i restart the application after a break i need to change the text size which is not very friendly and makes me to stick with VW 2021.

The problem is i've also upgraded my MacOS to the lasted one which VW 2021 do-not have official support yet. I've not yet experienced something that stops me to work from 2021 luckily

Hope VW finds the solution for this menu bar very soon 

Hello,

I've got the same issue. Not everytime. Lan's trick seems to work, but hat's not a great solution for me, I used to work with highest resolution, and with this trick I had to smallert my display 😞

Here my configuration :

VWX 2022 SP2.1 27.0.2 (627588)

OS X Montereu 12.1

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) / 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7 6 cœurs / RAM 16 Go 2400 MHz DDR4 / Radeon Pro 560X 4 Go

Issue with 1900x1200 resolution. Seems to wrok with standart resolution 1680x1050

Hi !

Still got this issue with las VWX2022 SP2.1 and OS X 12.1.

A colleague of mine has got the same issue on his MacBook Pro. To fix it momentarily, as I do, he had to change resolution of the scree, without closing VWX

Others colleague with Macbookpro, OS X 12.1 and VWX SP2.1 don't have this issue.

We are only 2 with this issue, and we got same extension and our Mac to control screen : SwitchResX !!! Maybe this is the reason of the issue?

Others users with this issue, have you got too this SwitchResX extension or similar one ? 

2 hours ago, David Dauphin said:

We are only 2 with this issue, and we got same extension and our Mac to control screen : SwitchResX !!! Maybe this is the reason of the issue?

Good sleuthing. The quickest and most certain way to verify this potential software conflict is to uninstall SwitchResX then restart your Mac and test. However, maybe restarting in Safe Mode will provide the same result - just not the same certainty. 

3 hours ago, David Dauphin said:

Hi !

Still got this issue with las VWX2022 SP2.1 and OS X 12.1.

A colleague of mine has got the same issue on his MacBook Pro. To fix it momentarily, as I do, he had to change resolution of the scree, without closing VWX

Others colleague with Macbookpro, OS X 12.1 and VWX SP2.1 don't have this issue.

Others users with this issue, have you got too this SwitchResX extension or similar one ? 

Hi David,

The workaround that we are recommending at this time is to disable automatic graphic switching on your laptop.  The usage of the onboard graphics seems to be causing this issue somehow on some computers.

Go to the Battery settings in the System Preferences and turn OFF the "automatic graphics switching" if available? Restart the computer and see if the issue goes away.

Best Regards,

Ian

On 12/15/2021 at 11:15 AM, Ian Lane said:

That worked for me as well. couple seconds work-around. 

Thanks Ian

I had this same problem on my 2019 MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.2.1.

Turning off the automatic graphics switching under battery in preferences seems to have worked. THANK YOU!!

It would be great if VW can fix the issue so I can use the automatic switching function again, as my battery life on this laptop is not what it was advertised to be so I would like to be able to maximize it as much as possible. But glad the problem seems to be resolved for now.

thanks - James