Device Builder - Categories & User Folder

ChollyO

Using the Device Builder tool, I see how you can create a new "Make / Model" by selecting "New" in the Device Browser, which opens the "New Make/Model" dialogue box.  In this box there is a drop-down for "category"...  Is it possible to create new or custom categories?  Can these categories be edited?

Also with the Device Builder tool, how is the User Folder managed in the Device Browser?  Can items be deleted/removed from the User Folder after they have been created?  Is there a data file that can be edited outside of VW?  Where is the User Folder information saved?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @ChollyO,

On 12/3/2021 at 7:43 PM, ChollyO said:

Is it possible to create new or custom categories?  Can these categories be edited?

- Currently it is not possible to create new categories. What category are you missing from the current list?

Also with the Device Builder tool, how is the User Folder managed in the Device Browser?  Can items be deleted/removed from the User Folder after they have been created?

- Currently user created devices cannot be removed from Vectorworks. In order to do this you will have to edit a text file. Anyway, you can edit devices by simply recalling them in the Device Builder and then making the changes you want and finally, closing the dialog with OK so that the changes get saved in the user folder and you can use them later on.

Is there a data file that can be edited outside of VW?  Where is the User Folder information saved?

- The data file is "ConnectCAD Devices DB.txt" and it is in the ConnectCAD_Data folder. However, this file is very complex as it contains all data regarding user created devies and it keeps everything in a tab separated format. Having this in mind I recommend not to edit it unless you are certain that you can follow the same rules for writing data in it. You can easily just delete it from your user folder if you want to get rid of all your user folder devices.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

7 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- Currently it is not possible to create new categories. What category are you missing from the current list?

- My company goes into great detail on every component used on a project, we go as far as to draw out 'Devices' for wall plates and DC PSU's.  I find value in having everything organized into the Category list that is available in the Device Builder.  It would be nice to have a category for 'wall plates' under audio, video, lighting & network and a "PSU" sub-category under "Power".  Mind you, I have only begun the process of reorganizing all of the Devices we have from previous jobs into VW2022 (we just upgraded from VW2018, so it's going to take a while) so I'm sure that I'll run into a number of additional Devices that will fall into a "New" category.  It is for that reason it would be beneficial to be able to create custom categories.

As for the User Folder Devices, the reason why I ask is because I'm having some inconsistencies with how Devices are displaying when I use the ">ConnectCAD>Layout>Create Devices..." command on the Menu bar.  I thought that If I could delete the User Devices I have created and started fresh it might give me a better result.  I've tried editing the Devices in the Device Builder as you recommended, but I'm still coming up with the same problems.  I will explain further....

Below are two screenshots.  The first screenshot is of three devices I've created, a microphone, a wall plate, and a 12v PSU.  All of these devices have the same Physical properties of 1-3/4" H, 1'-0" W, 1'-0" D.  I then used the "Create Devices" dialogue.  The graphical representation for the microphone and wall plate are displaying correctly (uniform rectangle, white background fill, make & model in the lower right corner), but the PSU is completely different. 

1726397082_Screenshot(1).thumb.jpg.be6644860c6a2881947261e3160a7dc6.jpg

In the second screenshot, I added an additional microphone from my Resource Manager using the same Symbol as the first microphone (shown as MIC-02) and I created a new device using the Device Builder for a 24v PSU, using the same physical properties (H/W/D) as the first three devices and executed the "Create Devices" dialogue.  The result is different for the microphone from the initial attempt and the PSU is the same as the one in the initial attempt.  

298049469_Screenshot(2).thumb.jpg.b2e731c41fe1e51ffc7465fb73877313.jpg

I would like all of these created devices to have the same characteristics as the "MIC-01" & "WP-01" objects.  Can you provide any insight as to why the other objects are not displaying the same?   

It should be noted that the only reason I'm using different physical dimensions then the actual dimensions of the devices is so that they can be identified after using the "Create Devices" dialogue.  If I used the actual dimensions, the object would be too small and the text labels/make/model cannot be read.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The difference between the created devices is the "Draw in Front View" check. It is selected for the devices with white background and deselected for the others. You can change the state of this check in the OIP of the created devices to get them look the same. As for why in the first place they have different state for this check, this is determined by different properties, such as is the device created in an equipment rack, is its height or width set to match the rackU or rack width, etc. If you send me a sample file with 2 devices created differently with Create Devices... I will be able to tell you exactly why they got created differently.