BIG ISSUE - VW with Monterey has major problems

Malbertal

Question

The issue has come up with this new version of Mac OS Monterey both with VW 2021 and 2022.  One cannot Save drawings, nor "Save As", or open via VW drawings through VW as Save Window or does not  appear or if it does its 3 feet (90cm) wide, making the work flow extremely hard.

This issue seems to affect more the setups that have two monitors, which I believe is a common architectural setup. : (

Like always VW técncial support has been very helpful but says its an Apple Mac OS Monterey issue, Apple says its a specific VW issue.  Typical Catch 22 problem.

Has anyone seen this issue with Mac OS Monterey and VW 2021 or 2022.

I thought VW 2022 was Mac OS native, therefore we wouldn't not have issues but I am having issues.  And if the VW 2022 has issues with Mac OS Monterey does this mean one cannot buy the new M1 Mac Chip Pro machines.

Please help !

Edited by Malbertal

21 answers to this question

I am currently on Monterey and I do not have this problem. I also have two monitors. What might make a difference is how you have set up spaces on your machine.  I have Displays have Separate Spaces setup in Mission Control Preferences.

I have a M1 Mac though which has been transformative and Vectorworks has never been more stable. 

• Like 2

Thank you jbock for your link.  But in the link you sent it talks that the issue disappears after the person removes the second monitor as he calls it Sidecar using an iPad.  With Vectorworks this issue does not is not solved by removing the second monitor.  With VW technical support I have put in Vectorworks 2021 in 2022 software twice already which as you know is an issue because it puts everything back to factory settings which takes a lot of time to set up back as one likes.  And when again I called VW technical support yesterday I was asked again to remove VW and again Vectorworks 2021 in 2022, that is when I said this is not working.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 minutes ago, Malbertal said:

Thank you jbock for your link.  But in the link you sent it talks that the issue disappears after the person removes the second monitor as he calls it Sidecar using an iPad.  With Vectorworks this issue does not is not solved by removing the second monitor.  With VW technical support I have put in Vectorworks 2021 in 2022 software twice already which as you know is an issue because it puts everything back to factory settings which takes a lot of time to set up back as one likes.  And when again I called VW technical support yesterday I was asked again to remove VW and again Vectorworks 2021 in 2022, that is when I said this is not working.

In all of the other cases we have seen of this issue, it has been solved by launching Vectorworks while only one display is connected. What display are you using as your main display? Does the behavior change if you choose a different display as your main display?

I truly believe this is a VectorWorks software issue compatibility problem.  I do think that Apple changed  something with the windows and save windows code that affected the VectorWorks software.  But it cannot be that to solve this issue I have to buy a new Mac computer with M1 chip.

32 minutes ago, Malbertal said:

@MalbertalWe are definitely investigating. I found a few other Apple forum threads that have users mentioning this issue across many apps. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253309706

@Malbertal I have been having the same Monterey compatibility issues—no ability to save files being the most frustrating—despite having the most recent VW and MacOS versions (27.0.2 (622317) & macOS 12.0.1). I am also running two monitors. When I select 'save' from the file menu, crickets.

I disconnected the secondary monitor and now 'save' is giving me a window...the ridiculously long (~1.5x display width) save dialog window that I was getting in VW2021 before the last update. So, that's some progress and, hopefully, VW will zero-in on this issue quickly. In the meantime, maybe try toggling through some options with the display setup.

For what it’s worth:

In my experience, many companies send out a compatibility email if there is a significant problem. In this situation, I’m surprised (am I though?) that VWX hasn’t done that considering this makes the program unusable for some folks. Maybe highlight and bold it in a help article at the very least😷

Luckily checked this out yesterday and decided to wait.

I definitely roll the software upgrade dice pretty regularly, cutting edge and all that, but VWX is one I’ve learned to check on first.

@markdd I am pumped to hear about your experience on the M1 ( and congrats)!!

But OP! you should still check before you upgrade.

We're hearing rumbles that the public release of Monterey macOS 12.1, may resolve the SaveAs and Export dialogs, failing to display issue in Vectorworks 2021/2022.  If you update to mac OS 12.1, please keep us updated.

Pulled from another article on the subject:

Adobe listed this same problem with Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign: “Sometimes the Save, Save As, and Export dialogs may not appear when an external display (via a USB-C Thunderbolt cable) or an iPad (via Sidecar) is plugged in. To display the dialogs, temporarily unplug the external display or sidecar. "

I didn't have any issues with VW 2022 on Monterey 12.0.1, but now that my MacBook (2021 Intel only using built-in monitor) is running 12.1, I am having all of the issues.  None of the menus in the top menu bar function when I open a VW file, so I can't really do anything.  I've tried rebooting and everything, aside from a full re-install.  I have had issues with other software on this machine...  I had hard wired internet today, but couldn't get YouTube to load on Safari (everything else loaded fine, and Speedtest showed loads of bandwidth).  OBS software wouldn't even open until I did a full download and reinstall of the software, then it seemed to work fine.  it's all over the board, and it seems that 12.1 has to be the problem.

I am also having this issue. I am using MacOS Monterey 12.1 to run Vectorworks 2022 27.0.2 (SP2.1). I am using only the single, original display of my laptop and everything appears to be working fine except for that I cannot use the menu bar features specific to Vectorworks (meaning all of my personalizations on the right side including battery, volume, etc. work fine but I cannot use file, edit, modify, spotlight, vectorworks, the apple symbol, etc.) The shortcuts seem to work but otherwise I can't access any of these features. What can I do?

If you're having issues with the main Vectorworks menu not functioning, closing and reopening the laptop lid, can temporarily resolve the issue.   You can also try going to your computer's System Preferences > Battery and turn off, "automatic graphics switching", then restart the computer.  This is something we're continuing to investigate and test possible resolutions. 

On 12/4/2021 at 2:45 PM, slothrop said:

I disconnected the secondary monitor and now 'save' is giving me a window...the ridiculously long (~1.5x display width) save dialog window that I was getting in VW2021 before the last update. 

Have you found a solution to this? I am still running VWX-2019 but with Monterey on an Intel MacBookPro and the dialogs are killing me. The "save as" window is 4-5x the width of my display and I cannot resize it small enough to fit. And disconnecting the external monitor didn't make any difference. In fact it's probably worse. 

6 hours ago, Leif Dixon said:

Have you found a solution to this? I am still running VWX-2019 but with Monterey on an Intel MacBookPro and the dialogs are killing me. The "save as" window is 4-5x the width of my display and I cannot resize it small enough to fit. And disconnecting the external monitor didn't make any difference. In fact it's probably worse. 

Vectorworks 2019 is not fully compatible with macOS Monterey.  The dialog width issue was resolved by Apple with the macOS 12.1 update and requires using Vectorworks 2021 SP5 or higher.  

• Like 1