Old versions

Well I did.

Apple local SSD space is expensive nowadays ...

If I really would need a special old school VW version for any reasons,

I would install it from scratch again.

(I keep my Installers and Serials externally and would still have old Macs and OSX available)

So far it was not that lossy, when I re-opened older VW's file versions in

a recent VW version ....

I am a bit tired already of the need to keep at least two of the latest  installations of each of

my Pro Apps. The official current "Beta" and the previous working SP4+ release.

Screenshot_2021-12-03_10_23_13.jpg.ffbecaab434250170a4d4125e214538f.jpg

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 2

Agree, seems like a basic fairness issue to be able to open/save back to zero (accepting progressive loss), this is normal for .dwg tools, .sketchup and a number of other CADs. Like you I have a back catalogue of hundreds of jobs and occasionally need to go into older files for reference and bring and item fwd, also the re-awakening of old jobs, same site new owner etc.

On 12/2/2021 at 10:52 PM, zoomer said:

If I really would need a special old school VW version for any reasons,

I would install it from scratch again.

(I keep my Installers and Serials externally and would still have old Macs and OSX available)

I've tried that and found that when I wanted a very old file I really didn't want to be messing about reappraising myself of how to reinstall all the pieces of the puzzle (+ I don't have any old Macs lying about), so now I keep everything live. My main stepping stone for very old files is v2009, which was quite a pivotal release. And despite what the official compatibility list says I find v2009 runs well on macOS 10.12, so I keep a copy of that running in VMWare Fusion. The other versions in my list still open on macOS 12 and I keep around in case I need another stepping stone:

690609980_Screenshot2021-12-04at07_43_46.png.7ad7db34725431d13b48429338dab888.png

• Like 1

I've also found the need to keep a copy of the QuickTime version for your particular VW version - for 2021 I locked QuickTime behind a firewall to stop it updating, along with a text reminder for myself of what my version was  - QuickTime. For VW_v 7.69.80.9.txt

IDK if it's a thing with 2018, so it may have gone away, one less problem,