Some Windows & Doors do not "Cut" walls after 2022 SP2 update

Hi Matt,

I have uploaded the file to this VCS folder.

After reading your earlier advice I moved the wall to reset. But no fix.

I will use SP4....just been extremely busy! I am the CEO, IT Manager and the guy who cleans the office here!! A builder announced he was starting on site early, after a contract cancelled..so I had to deliver the construction info v quickly...not good at saying "No"....

Thank you for engaging. Good to see you in action after last year's summit which I really enjoyed. Off to cycle now. It's 18.40hrs here  and 29 deg...v hot for Macclesfield, England.

Regards,

Mark

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, thinkingpencil said:

Hi Matt,

I have uploaded the file to this VCS folder.

After reading your earlier advice I moved the wall to reset. But no fix.

I will use SP4....just been extremely busy! I am the CEO, IT Manager and the guy who cleans the office here!! A builder announced he was starting on site early, after a contract cancelled..so I had to deliver the construction info v quickly...not good at saying "No"....

Thank you for engaging. Good to see you in action after last year's summit which I really enjoyed. Off to cycle now. It's 18.40hrs here  and 29 deg...v hot for Macclesfield, England.

Regards,

Mark

Hey Mark,

Weird!  I clicked on the link and it brought me to an empty folder named "Files for Matt".  Maybe PM me the file?  If nothing else, I can confirm whether 2022 SP4 fixed the issue.

LOL!  I remember well my PanzerCAD days with me being the CEO, Marketing, Designer, Drafter, Software Engineer, Website Developer, Documentation Writer, etc. and also not being good at saying "no".  😅

Enjoy your ride and stay hydrated!  🙂 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi Matt,

I believe you are right in saying SP4 fixed this issue. I upgraded from SP2 (in use when the issue showed itself) to SP5. Using the same file I cannot now reproduce the issue, all is as expected. However I have attached the file which was missing from the folder we tried to share. Probably for academic interest by now. Thank you for your kind attention.

220811 291_05 Trial.vwx

18 hours ago, thinkingpencil said:

Hi Matt,

I believe you are right in saying SP4 fixed this issue. I upgraded from SP2 (in use when the issue showed itself) to SP5. Using the same file I cannot now reproduce the issue, all is as expected. However I have attached the file which was missing from the folder we tried to share. Probably for academic interest by now. Thank you for your kind attention.

220811 291_05 Trial.vwx 61.85 MB · 2 downloads

Great to heat it's now working for you and thanks for the file!

I also tested your file and see it working correctly. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I am having this problem on VW 2023 SP2. I made changes to the window style (just data info for a schedule) and different (style) windows on a different wall now don't cut through the wall. Actually, I then changed the style of one of the windows and THEN that wall wigged out. I tried moving it, copy/pasting, re-oping the file, placing new windows in the wall also have a similar result. I just did a test by making a new wall and it looked right initially but then did the same thing. 

It appears if I break the wall up into segments (one for each window) it fixes it... now I just need to cover up the extra lines showing up in the elevation...

Of course this is happening on a final deadline. I guess I can be happy it's one one wall.

• Like 1

I’m having the same issue on Vw2023 SP1, but it has happened on almost all of my walls. I also had made changes to the window style two days ago, then yesterday I undid the changes to the style. Now this morning I open the file and almost none of the Windows or Doors are cutting the walls. It has affected multiple wall styles.

I tried all of the following to try and fix it, all unsuccessfully:

1. Moving a Wall by 0,0 does not fix it;
  2. Moving one of the Windows or Doors by 0,0 does not fix it;
  3. Dragging one of the Windows out of the wall and back in does not fix it;
  4. Making changes to the Window Style that regenerate all of the Window objects does not fix it;

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rDesign said:

I’m having the same issue on Vw2023 SP1, but it has happened on almost all of my walls. I also had made changes to the window style two days ago, then yesterday I undid the changes to the style. Now this morning I open the file and almost none of the Windows or Doors are cutting the walls. It has affected multiple wall styles.

I tried all of the following to try and fix it, all unsuccessfully:

1. Moving a Wall by 0,0 does not fix it;
  2. Moving one of the Windows or Doors by 0,0 does not fix it;
  3. Dragging one of the Windows out of the wall and back in does not fix it;
  4. Making changes to the Window Style that regenerate all of the Window objects does not fix it;

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Have you tried the file in VW 2023 SP2?

22 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Have you tried the file in VW 2023 SP2?

Thanks Matt. I thought you might ask that... no I haven't tried it in Vw2023 SP2.

I have an unresolved Vw2023 SP2 file bug report in for Hidden Line no longer hiding coplanar surfaces properly on SLVP Sections. Unfortunately, I'm not going to install another SP until that HL bug is fixed. That bug is a really big dealbreaker for me.

I managed to copy over good walls with correct cut openings from an older archived version of my file, so I'm back working again (other than getting 3d 'shards' every day).

I've increased my number of saved backups to 5, and I'm going to keep a close eye on things. And frequently making sure that the windows are still cutting walls.

I'd be happy to send you the file if you wanted to take a look at it though.

Edited by rDesign
26 minutes ago, Andrew Pollock said:

I was having this issue too and I was using 2023 SP2. I called tech support. They had me quit the program, open the updater (which needed to be updated), go to advanced options and click repair. This found 57 bad files and fixed them. The window cutting problem hasn't returned.

I repaired my Vw2023 SP1 installation using the installer, and it says that it repaired 139 files. We'll see if it makes any difference with the issues I've been having.

@Andrew Pollock, @rDesign,

Interesting about repairing using the installer!

Please do keep me posted if you notice it again.  I do know VW 2023 SP2 fixed an issue related to this so it's still possible it could creep up in SP1.  I'm mostly concerned about this still happening in SP2 so we can try to address this sooner than later.

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 12/9/2022 at 10:56 AM, Matt Panzer said:

@Andrew Pollock, @rDesign,

Interesting about repairing using the installer!

Please do keep me posted if you notice it again.  I do know VW 2023 SP2 fixed an issue related to this so it's still possible it could creep up in SP1.  I'm mostly concerned about this still happening in SP2 so we can try to address this sooner than later.

Thanks.

I never had the problem again.