Some Windows & Doors do not "Cut" walls after 2022 SP2 update

After updating to 2022 SP2 many windows and doors stop "cutting" walls in shaded view (only in shaded view).

I went back to SP1 and after removing and reinstalling the doors and windows, everything works OK. In a version of 2022 - SP2 I tried to fix the walls, checked for duplicate walls, deleted door and reinstalled door. One way of replicating the issue  to change the label of a door; the wall stoped working.

I am attaching several scree shots with 2022 - SP2 and one with 2022-SP1. I also tried opening the file (in 2022- SP2) after fixing it with 2022- SP1 and it displays properly in 2022-SP2.

I can not update to SP2 in my main computer (iMac 27 inch 2017), until this issue is resolved, do not want to have to rework files again.

494365469_ShadedView2022SP2.thumb.png.063f74e8a5ccc523d0623c264c005111.png

Top Plan View 20222 SP2.png

Wireframe View 2022 SP2.png

Shaded View  2022 SP1.png

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gfebres@gfarch.ca said:

After updating to 2022 SP2 many windows and doors stop "cutting" walls in shaded view (only in shaded view).

I went back to SP1 and after removing and reinstalling the doors and windows, everything works OK. In a version of 2022 - SP2 I tried to fix the walls, checked for duplicate walls, deleted door and reinstalled door. One way of replicating the issue  to change the label of a door; the wall stoped working.

I am attaching several scree shots with 2022 - SP2 and one with 2022-SP1. I also tried opening the file (in 2022- SP2) after fixing it with 2022- SP1 and it displays properly in 2022-SP2.

I can not update to SP2 in my main computer (iMac 27 inch 2017), until this issue is resolved, do not want to have to rework files again.

I had the same issue. Try to remove and reinsert the doors and windows, let me know if it works

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 12/2/2021 at 3:24 PM, zeno said:
On 12/2/2021 at 12:14 PM, gfebres@gfarch.ca said:

Expand  

I had the same issue. Try to remove and reinsert the doors and windows, let me know if it works

The Bug:

I just took a look at the file and will enter a bug so the engineers can have a look.

Some questions:

1. It looks like this file was originally created in VW 2018?  Does that sound correct to you?
  2. If so, do you know if it was saved in any other versions between 2018 and 2022?
  3. Do you have any idea what VW version the affected walls were last edited (or created)?
    Actually, if they were last edited in a version before VW 2022 and you have a version of that file before converting it, it would be helpful for us to look at.

The Fix (for now):

If the issue happens again, I think the easiest fix is to select any of the affected walls and move them (with the Move command) by 0, 0.  This triggers them to reset properly.

The file was created in VW 2022

I did create new walls outside of the model, created new windows and doors and then moved the new wall into the model.

That temporarily fixed the problem,  but as soon as I changed the label of one door, the problem came back and actually extended to other walls and windows.

At that time I went back to VW2022- SP1 (still in the iMac), fixed the file and continues the project without updating VW 2022 to SP2.

The file was created in VW 2022

I did create new walls outside of the model, created new windows and doors and then moved the new wall into the model.

That temporarily fixed the problem,  but as soon as I changed the label of one door, the problem came back and actually extended to other walls and windows.

At that time I went back to VW2022- SP1 (still in the iMac), fixed the file and continues the project without updating VW 2022 to SP2.

I use templates that mat have been created on a pervious version of VW, but I started this project on VW2022.

OK, thanks for the description of what you did.  Unfortunately, I still have not been able to reproduce the issue in the file that shows the wall holes.  We have the file that shows the problem (which is good).  However, if we can reproduce the problem, we can figure out how it got into that state and prevent it from happening.

• 7 months later...

Pitching in my 5 cents.

We have this same issue.  It keeps coming back at random. 

The only way to fix it was to delete the wall make a new one and reinsert the window or door.

Not a good.

Vectorworks Architect 2022 sp4

windows 11 pro install version 21H2

On 7/29/2022 at 2:30 PM, station said:

any updates on this - having the same issue  

On 7/29/2022 at 8:25 PM, GregG said:

Pitching in my 5 cents.

We have this same issue.  It keeps coming back at random. 

The only way to fix it was to delete the wall make a new one and reinsert the window or door.

Not a good.

Vectorworks Architect 2022 sp4

windows 11 pro install version 21H2

Unfortunately, I have never seen this problem in my testing.  Please do let me know if you can provide a reproducible case.

Select the windows that are not cutting the wall. What are the called at the top of the Object Info Palette (OIP)?  Are they Window or are they Window in Wall?

If they are Window in Wall, then I don't know what the problem is.

If they are Window, then that means that either they were not fully inserted into the wall originally, or they have been dragged slightly out of the wall.

Drag the completely out and then back in making sure that the tip of the mouse pointer has a portion of the object that will be WITHIN the wall. If you grab the outside molding, then you will not be able to put the window where you want and have it become a Window in Wall.

11 hours ago, GregG said:

Sent you a Vector works file via direct message.

This screengrab shows the condition

Thanks Greg.  I got the file.  The biggest challenge here is to find steps that will actually trigger the issue.  Having the file in that state can help but knowing steps to make the problem happen is the key.  I'll attach the file to the bug report. Hopefully it'll help us zero in on the issue.

11 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Select the windows that are not cutting the wall. What are the called at the top of the Object Info Palette (OIP)?  Are they Window or are they Window in Wall?

If they are Window in Wall, then I don't know what the problem is.

They are in the wall so there's something that got them in a weird state.  In this file, my usual trick of Moving the wall by (0, 0) to force a reset results in the windows disappearing in this file.  However, I did notice the controls at the of the Object Info palette are blank.  Maybe that will help the engineers figure this out.Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 10.01.43 AM.png

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your help.  

I did that not improve.  

Matt's quick fix by moving the wall 0,0 helps only some. The result is that all the doors in the wall get deleted afterwards.

Ended up reinserting the doors again.  More work to do just to get back to where I'd been. 🙄

I just spoke with our main Wall engineer about this and it sounds like this problem is not related to Project Sharing.  The most difficult part of this issue is that the root of the problem can happen long before you see it.  I'll explain the best I can:  When you insert a PIO or Symbol in a wall, the wall creates what's called a "wall break" record (or node?) that holds information about the insert.  Somehow a user action triggers that wall break to be deleted.  This would be similar to moving the end of a wall so that an insert is no longer in it but, in this case, incorrectly deleting it.  The problem is you won't see any visual clue until something causes the wall to reset.  Usually, placing or editing an insert in another wall in the same wall network causes that wall (with the missing wall break) to reset which, in turn, ignores the object that was inserted (filling the hole).  Other resets to that wall will cause the wall to see that there is no break and the wall will know to delete the inserted object.  So the action that causes this to happen could've been done long before you see the issue.  This means the ideal reproducible case would be in a new file starting from scratch.  This is surely a tall order but we'll continue to look for clues and, if any of you have some clues, our ears are open.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

@gfebres@gfarch.ca, @zeno, @station, @GregG, Et al,

Do you know if you were using project sharing when this happened?

Good morning Matt.

I am still currently using a CW window with other objects modeled and converted to autohybrid all togheret in a symbol in walls which in turn have inserted beam objects as symbols.

The problem had been resolved, but I had to reinsert the windows AFTER making the update.

Unfortunately, project sharing has never been used. I don't know people who have the ability to handle complex projects with VW.

Thank you

6 hours ago, zeno said:

Good morning Matt.

I am still currently using a CW window with other objects modeled and converted to autohybrid all togheret in a symbol in walls which in turn have inserted beam objects as symbols.

The problem had been resolved, but I had to reinsert the windows AFTER making the update.

Unfortunately, project sharing has never been used. I don't know people who have the ability to handle complex projects with VW.

Thank you

Thanks for the info., Zeno.

This is good information to have due the interesting combination of placing symbols containing auto hybrids in walls.

5 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Thanks for the info., Zeno.

This is good information to have due the interesting combination of placing symbols containing auto hybrids in walls.

yes, you can call it “super matryoska symbol level 4” 👍🏻

• Laugh 1

Hi All,

The attached (Architect 2022 SP2) shows this problem I think. Referring to the screen grab:-  The middle-sized window (left hand side)  has some wall down to level Z=0 associated with it. This wall is not removed when the cased opening (bottom at level z=0)  is inserted below the window. See C. But the other two windows do not "randomely fill" the cased opening with wall in this way. Yet all windows are settings= except for size and frame variations. Put another way if you move the cased opening away from the middle-sized window the full wall hole appears. The opening and one of the windows cannot co-exist in the same wall!?

I'll work around this by using both  A and B:- Setting bottom offest of A and top offet of B so that they render as one.

By the way I haven't designed this house. Which was "designed" by a builder. Client's won't demolish. So I am trying to add some star quality with the usually wonderful VWX!

image.thumb.png.7fcb3ee5000ba53ac36b569a0d6d9430.png220811 291_05.vwx

25 minutes ago, thinkingpencil said:

Hi All,

The attached (Architect 2022 SP2) shows this problem I think. Referring to the screen grab:-  The middle-sized window (left hand side)  has some wall down to level Z=0 associated with it. This wall is not removed when the cased opening (bottom at level z=0)  is inserted below the window. See C. But the other two windows do not "randomely fill" the cased opening with wall in this way. Yet all windows are settings= except for size and frame variations. Put another way if you move the cased opening away from the middle-sized window the full wall hole appears. The opening and one of the windows cannot co-exist in the same wall!?

I'll work around this by using both  A and B:- Setting bottom offest of A and top offet of B so that they render as one.

By the way I haven't designed this house. Which was "designed" by a builder. Client's won't demolish. So I am trying to add some star quality with the usually wonderful VWX!

220811 291_05.vwx

Hi @thinkingpencil,

Could you attach the VWX file again?  I cannot download it.

I believe this is not the same issue.  If you select the wall that has the issue and reset it (by moving it), do any of those inserts disappear?  Since some of the hole remains for the large insert in the image, I'm going to guess the insert will remain after the wall reset.

Is there a reason you're not using VW 2022 SP4?  I think this issue may already be resolved.