Roofs associated with Walls?

willofmaine

Question

I'm under the impression, especially after looking at Vectorworks "Help," that roof objects can be associated with walls such that when a wall is moved, the footprint of the roof object automatically updates accordingly.  But even in a brand new blank file, with just four walls and a basic roof, when I move a wall, the roof does not update.  Am I misunderstanding the capabilities, or otherwise missing something?...  Thanks!

2 answers to this question

I think this is more to do with the interface between Wall + Roof components: when a Roof or Roof Face is associated with a Wall or Walls, you can then get the individual Wall components to clip the individual Roof components + vice versa + generally arrange things so that in section it looks passable. It's not the same as when a Slab is 'bounded' to a set of Walls + then when you move a wall the slab travels with it. And unlike a Roof, the interface between Wall + Slab components isn't reliant on the two being bounded: it can happen whether they are auto bounded or manual bounded. With a Roof, it has to be associated with a Wall if you want it to clip or be clipped by that wall.

Okay, so I guess I misunderstood this from the "Roof and wall associations" section of VW Help: "If the walls are edited (whether moved, reshaped, or replaced, or due to a change in the wall style, the wall thickness, or the wall components), the roof component connections update automatically."  I now see that it says "roof component connections," which I guess is different from "the roof shape/footprint will update...".  Thanks!!