Landscape section: Hide geometry below grade

Poot

Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering if there is some secret trick I am missing to create sections like the one below, without having to trace a white polygon in the sheet layer?

Most often when drawing large/non-detail principle sections it is not necessary to show the construction below-grade.

image.thumb.png.26f00357163db7c045b7d0a334e56fa7.png

I understand how to control this with layers and classes within landscape areas, but there is always extra geometry of various thickness that I remains. Using just the site model line means seeing the site model in the background if it is extended.

Drawing a polygon overtop is not overly complicated of a workaround, but just thought I would ask 🙂

7 minutes ago, Poot said:

without having to trace a white polygon in the sheet layer?

This is what I thought to be the normal workflow.

Usually the other way round, to get a "terrain" section when

you won't get a solid from DTM.

I hope someone else has a better idea.

(As such a workaround in Annotation space will not follow the changes

of the generated Section)

But your Section looks very good 🙂

32 minutes ago, Poot said:

Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering if there is some secret trick I am missing to create sections like the one below, without having to trace a white polygon in the sheet layer?

Most often when drawing large/non-detail principle sections it is not necessary to show the construction below-grade.

image.thumb.png.26f00357163db7c045b7d0a334e56fa7.png

I understand how to control this with layers and classes within landscape areas, but there is always extra geometry of various thickness that I remains. Using just the site model line means seeing the site model in the background if it is extended.

Drawing a polygon overtop is not overly complicated of a workaround, but just thought I would ask 🙂

I've done this by stacking one VP on top of the other. So a section with the buildings, etc on behind + another section on top which is just a cut through the Site Model.

1161085829_Screenshot2021-11-26at10_08_21.thumb.png.a0e4ce17a6ae2548aefc17a0792cac01.png

• Like 3
On 11/26/2021 at 11:09 AM, Tom W. said:

I've done this by stacking one VP on top of the other. So a section with the buildings, etc on behind + another section on top which is just a cut through the Site Model.

1161085829_Screenshot2021-11-26at10_08_21.thumb.png.a0e4ce17a6ae2548aefc17a0792cac01.png

Nice!

Would there be any way to have the site model white below grade?

Edited by Poot
On 11/27/2021 at 4:54 PM, Tom W. said:

Absolutely!

This is a different file but the same principle: the buildings are on one VP where extents beyond cut plane is enabled. Then the site model is on another VP where it is just the section cut which is displayed with the attributes controlled in the Advanced Section Properties: you can have various different classes set up in advance then just choose the one that gives you the look you want.

2111753974_Screenshot2021-11-27at15_52_10.thumb.png.4abeb6c240640eace556e707fa0473da.png     1139766625_Screenshot2021-11-27at15_49_25.png.fdce0c04f0cf4447bce4eaf9b5f2991c.png

Very nice!  It does seem like multiple/overlapping viewports is the best way to get more nuanced effects and visual control.  

Thanks for the good tips!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/26/2021 at 2:09 AM, Tom W. said:

+ another section on top which is just a cut through the Site Model.

So assuming this site model section is just slightly in front of the building?

Might be a bit difficult with overly complicated/convoluted terrain?

In any case this seems much better than my current overdrawn polygon (with at least a cople of redraws as I move hardscape around) solution.