Radar Image Topography of Earth

islandmon

Indeed, Austin Myer creator of XPlane is offering his latest version with ... 7 DVD's of the topography of the entire planet ( and Mars ) based on NASA Radar interferometry ($29 for all 7 DVD's and incredibly still just $50 for Xplane ) !

What does this have to do with Landmark you ask ? Answer is sweet ...the XPlane Simulator inlcudes every airport and NavAid and is fully GPS capable which means that you can navigate with precision to any spot on planet Earth's surface ... image then that you fly a jet to a location of choice then hop into your helo and land it precisely on a location ... check your alitmeter ... it will readout the correct elevation above MeanSeaLevel based on the GPS coordinates and the NASA Radar datum... kool. You can also work the problem the other way to obtain the GPS Coordiantes based on long/Lat. And the entire NASA database is exportable to GIS . You can also take screen shots and make movies as you fly over the terrain.

One other thing ... for realism you can buy the SAT Images which map via GPS to the NASA datum in the XPlane database.

X Plane is configurable based on horse power ... I even run it on my old Ti PowerBook ... video RAM determines screen resolution. These screen shoots are 'High' ... there's also 'Extremely High' which requires 128mb VRAM.

One other thing ... these are images of me flying a vintage SK60 Navy 'Sea Stallion' over to the location of my property ! Yeah .. way kool ...

• 1 month later...

Peter as a pilot you will definitely appreciate XPlane's attention to details... extreme precision ... every NavAid for every certified airport is included for the entire planet. The topomapping is beyond compare. As far as I know it is the only FAA Certified FlightSim for the PC. The XPlane community is awesome.

The are options for everything you can image including contorting the runway elevations to match the real existing earth contours.

The range of weather capabilites is stunning.