Jump to content

Distributor Object Output order


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in de process of updating our libraries to get everything working with v2022. While working on our Distributor Objects I came across the following issue. I've got no control over the order in wich the outputs are shown in the IOP. Every output is named and numbered in the "Name" field of the Electrical Output object, so alphabetical/numeric order would be fine. But nonetheless the outputs are shown in a seemingly random order.

Has anyone figured this out?

My whole experience with migrating from v2021 to v2022 has been troublesome. I have to figure out how everything is meant to work by myself. After 3 days of battling with Truss Magnets (our custom truss library is quite large).. It would be great if in the future there would also be an explanation before the release on how to change symbols to work properly in the new version, in addition to the release notes. I am aware that the cable tools in v2021 were still in beta. But I'm getting off topic..

image.png.aa99f855be7fbf6f34e3e742d395e4d2.png

Link to comment
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The input and output order is based on the stacking order of the components, with the input or output component at the bottom of the stack being the first displayed in the OIP.

 

Link to comment

Works great. Thanks Jesse!

Off topic, but quick question: Wattage of Lighting Devices arent used for the power information. Am I supposed to draw Input, Output and Consumer objects in all of our Lighting Device Symbols?

Drawing only a Consumer object will disable daisy chaining...

Edited by JeroenSnoeijen
Link to comment

Hi Bogdan,

 

Your cable .vwx files need to be in the installation folder->Libraries->Default->Cable Tools. We made a .bat file to automate this and make updating these files easy.

 

The .bat file looks something like this:
xcopy "..\Libraries\Defaults\Audio Tools\*" "c:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2021\Libraries\Defaults\Audio Tools" /i /e /Y
xcopy "..\Libraries\Defaults\Cable Tools\*" "c:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2021\Libraries\Defaults\Cable Tools" /i /e /Y
xcopy "..\Libraries\Defaults\Stock Bridle Materials\*" "c:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2021\Libraries\Defaults\Stock Bridle Materials" /i /e /Y
xcopy "..\Libraries\Defaults\Hoist Tools\*" "c:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2021\Libraries\Defaults\Hoist Tools" /i /e /Y

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 hours ago, JeroenSnoeijen said:

Off topic, but quick question: Wattage of Lighting Devices arent used for the power information. Am I supposed to draw Input, Output and Consumer objects in all of our Lighting Device Symbols?

This is a bug and is being worked on. It will hopefully be addressed fairly soon.

Link to comment
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 hours ago, Bogdan Ciocan said:

we have also a custom library for cables and distributors, but the cables are not seen in workgroup folder and each of us must copy the library in user folder.

Is this working for you?

This should be possible, it was implimented in 2021 sp3, the only thing that can't be shared in a user or workgroup folder is the cableconnector xml file.

What build of Spotlight are you running, so I check this when I 'm back in the office

Link to comment
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 hours ago, JeroenSnoeijen said:

Not everything about the Cable Tool is documented well..

A set of skill videos is in the process of being prepared for the cable tools suite and should be on the Vectorworks University soon.

 

In the mean time the thread below contains a lot of info about the new cable tools

 

Link to comment
On 11/26/2021 at 2:26 PM, jcogdell said:

This should be possible, it was implimented in 2021 sp3, the only thing that can't be shared in a user or workgroup folder is the cableconnector xml file.

What build of Spotlight are you running, so I check this when I 'm back in the office

We are using Vectorworks 2022 SP1.1. The cable parts can only be seen in User Folder.

This is also stated in Help.

image.thumb.png.e4f218b84a963eff063d039bdc9a3d73.png

Link to comment
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The section you have highlighted tells you were to find the default cable part libraries, if you look at the first paragraph of the 'managing cable parts' page it says
"The Manage Cable Parts dialog box provides information about the cable inventory in the Vectorworks library and any user or workgroup files"

 

That being said I have just tested this an it is definitely broken in service pack 2. I'll get the bug report in to have it fixed and I'll also put a request in to have the help page looked at to make it clearer.

Link to comment
10 hours ago, jcogdell said:

The section you have highlighted tells you were to find the default cable part libraries, if you look at the first paragraph of the 'managing cable parts' page it says
"The Manage Cable Parts dialog box provides information about the cable inventory in the Vectorworks library and any user or workgroup files"

 

That being said I have just tested this an it is definitely broken in service pack 2. I'll get the bug report in to have it fixed and I'll also put a request in to have the help page looked at to make it clearer.

Hey, thank you for looking in to this. You are right, but the default cable parts libraries are in the installation folders.

Anyway, there is is a workaround and with the tip from @JeroenSnoeijen is much easier to share the libraries.

Link to comment
On 11/26/2021 at 2:28 PM, jcogdell said:

Have you tried adding a output component as well for the link through?

Adding a output seems to re-enable daisy chaining, however I can not assing L1, N & PE to the consumer object. Wich  seems a bit odd because I have to define a connector type for the consumer object.

I don't think I'm going edit all of our Lighting Device symbols for now and wait for a proper solution in the future Service Pack releases...

Edited by JeroenSnoeijen
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...