datasmith direct link vaporized?

jnr

Question

20 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi jnr. 

What Twinmotion version are you using? There was a recent release to TM 2022.1

Also are you running direct link in Mac or Windows OS?

Sometimes the problem is the camera position, in TM click the arrow in the upper right, and see if the objects are there, in that case right click any object and select "zoom to selection"

In this case what Twinmotion version you are using matters. We coordinate with the engineers from Unreal to enable features in both Vectorworks and Twinmotion.

the new features that we added to SP2 are not working with previous TM version

I open your model with VW 2022 SP2, and the model is synchronizing correctly with Twinmotion 2021.2

Upgrading to TM 2021 should fix the missing geometries issue. Please Let me know if you are still having problems after that

• Like 2

Hi all,

I have a similar problem with Twinmotion 2022.1 and Vectorworks 2022 SP2.1 running on a Mac.

The Direct Link was formed by VW but cannot be seen by Twinmotion.

Has SP2.1 broken this link again ? The link did flash up once in Twinmotion but when I selected the VW file to import the icon had a broken link symbol on it and no geometry was visible in Twinmotion.

It's all running on locally on my machine, and the direct link data is saved to the default user library path. 

Any help would be appreciated. This is the reason I upgraded to VW22 !

1495604916_Screenshot2022-01-21at15_51_17.thumb.png.e24305ad7168513517778c5887db05ff.png

On 1/19/2022 at 3:57 PM, AlanW said:

Hi I have updated my Twin Motion to 2022.1 and all seems fine now.

I still want to know how to export the datasmith file to the server in a specific file location rather than to my user file.

Thanks

Hello Alan, you can export Datasmith file to any location.  We are adding a new option for Direct Link to save it somewhere other than the default location if you wish, in the next Vectorworks Service Pack.  We would like this to work across multiple machines ultimately but Twinmotion doesn't yet support direct linking across a network from one machine to another; it only works when the file is on the same machine, for now.  Epic may change this in the future.  HTH

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Alvar said:

Hi all,

I have a similar problem with Twinmotion 2022.1 and Vectorworks 2022 SP2.1 running on a Mac.

The Direct Link was formed by VW but cannot be seen by Twinmotion.

Has SP2.1 broken this link again ? The link did flash up once in Twinmotion but when I selected the VW file to import the icon had a broken link symbol on it and no geometry was visible in Twinmotion.

It's all running on locally on my machine, and the direct link data is saved to the default user library path. 

Any help would be appreciated. This is the reason I upgraded to VW22 !

1495604916_Screenshot2022-01-21at15_51_17.thumb.png.e24305ad7168513517778c5887db05ff.png

Hello @Alvar I have seen it where direct link between Vectorworks and Twinmotion requires launching one app first and the other app second.  Try launching in different orders to see if that is the issue here.

There are a raft of enhancements and bug fixes coming in the next Vectorworks Service Pack, we are very actively improving this connection.

• Like 1

Ok so I spent a few hours trying to sort this out and managed to 'briefly' get the Direct Link to work. 

There seems to be an issue with the cache that prevents Twinmotion from seeing the Direct Link sometimes.

I restarted the machine, cleaned out VW and TM's caches, deleted the Direct Link files from the user library and after a few attempts I DID get a couple of VW 2020 SP2.1 file's into TM 2022.1 via the Direct Link. This was exciting !!!

I edited the VW file and then re-synced to see if the Direct Link would update the TM model.....it did not. I refreshed the VW file from TM but it still did not update. 

Then the link broke  now TM is back to the "No Source Available Message"

🥵

On 1/22/2022 at 3:11 AM, Dave Donley said:

Hello Alan, you can export Datasmith file to any location.  We are adding a new option for Direct Link to save it somewhere other than the default location if you wish, in the next Vectorworks Service Pack.  We would like this to work across multiple machines ultimately but Twinmotion doesn't yet support direct linking across a network from one machine to another; it only works when the file is on the same machine, for now.  Epic may change this in the future.  HTH

Thanks Dave,

I would be putting pressure on Epic Games (Twin Motion ) to have this option available on a server it makes sense when working in an office and a number of people on different computers working on the. If i export the Datasmith file to another location the Datasmith direct link cant find it. in the meantime i will use Cinema 4D export.

Thanks

• Like 1
20 hours ago, AlanW said:

Thanks Dave,

I would be putting pressure on Epic Games (Twin Motion ) to have this option available on a server it makes sense when working in an office and a number of people on different computers working on the. If i export the Datasmith file to another location the Datasmith direct link cant find it. in the meantime i will use Cinema 4D export.

Thanks

You can export the Datasmith file to a network volume and use that on a different machine, the thing that is not available is using Direct Link across machines.

• Like 1
On 1/21/2022 at 4:20 PM, Alvar said:

Ok so I spent a few hours trying to sort this out and managed to 'briefly' get the Direct Link to work. 

There seems to be an issue with the cache that prevents Twinmotion from seeing the Direct Link sometimes.

I restarted the machine, cleaned out VW and TM's caches, deleted the Direct Link files from the user library and after a few attempts I DID get a couple of VW 2020 SP2.1 file's into TM 2022.1 via the Direct Link. This was exciting !!!

I edited the VW file and then re-synced to see if the Direct Link would update the TM model.....it did not. I refreshed the VW file from TM but it still did not update. 

Then the link broke  now TM is back to the "No Source Available Message"

🥵

Thank you very much for letting us know, I will take a look to the dirty cache folder problem. I will target this as a fix for sp3

• Like 1

After doing some research I find out the problem started when users first use the menu item to export the model, then try to connect to Twinmotion using direct link. 

A temporal solution consist in loading the model and using only the toolbar icons.

The permanent fix will be available in SP3