Trouble modifying a texture of a styled wall.

Stéphane

Question

Hello, 

- My issue : 

I would like to customize the texture of one part of one styled wall's instance. In other words, is it possible to set the texture of a styled wall "by instance" instead of "by style" on one component only ? 

- What I found on the Internet : 

It seems to be possible as shown below. In my case, the "Part" button is greyed out which prevent me to modify the texture. 

Please, find a file with my styled wall attached. 

127314153_Capturedcran2021-11-2211_37_46.thumb.png.9ed9813c03fd6bc60496dff26fba5e5b.png

Styled wall test.vwx

Edited by Stéphane

15 answers to this question

Thank you for your answers. 

On 11/29/2021 at 11:00 AM, Tom W. said:

You need to convert the wall to Unstyled in order to override the by-style component textures

So it is not possible to set the texture of a styled wall "by instance" ?

To further develop my issue : 

I have a styled wall (concrete/isolation/coating). From one wall to another I would like to change the color of that coating. If I have a wall with a blue coating and another wall (same components) with a white coating, I need two different styled walls (ie concrete/isolation/blue coating and concrete/isolation/white coating) ? Is that correct ? 

25 minutes ago, Stéphane said:

So it is not possible to set the texture of a styled wall "by instance" ?

If you have a styled wall where the textures are set to 'Use object textures' then yes you can change the textures applied to the wall parts on an instance-by-instance basis.

But if your wall style is set to 'Use component textures' then yes I think it is a case of either creating different styles for the different finishes + switching between them depending on what colour you want to see. This way you can easily change the colours/textures again en masse in future. But if you wanted you could just use a single wall style + where you have walls where you want to show a different texture, just unstyle those particular walls + change the texture for the component in question.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Stéphane said:

If I have a wall with a blue coating and another wall (same components) with a white coating, I need two different styled walls (ie concrete/isolation/blue coating and concrete/isolation/white coating) ? Is that correct ? 

I am about to face the same issue, and was thinking of seeing whether Data Visualization (which I have not used before) would prevent the need for separate Wall Styles to control surface colors.  Could a Record be attached to the Walls, and then have the the SLVP surface color appearance based on the record data, leaving the other components By Style?  

Edited by E|FA
typo
3 minutes ago, E|FA said:

I am about to face the same issue, and was thinking of seeing whether Data Visualization (which I have not used before) would prevent the need for separate Wall Styles to control surface colors.  Could a Record be attached to the Walls, and then have the the SLVP surface color appearance based on the record data, leaving the other components By Style?  

Hmm I don't think you can do this because the Record would be attached to the object as a whole (the Wall) + I don't think you'd be able to get the Data Viz to just change the attributes of a single component rather than apply the colour to the whole wall but I'd love to be proved wrong on that!

You can use Data Viz to override a Material + change the look of individual components that way but this would make no distinction between one wall + another of the same style so wouldn't help.

On the Wall/Record thing, if it were possible this would involve telling VW to attach a Record to every wall instance as it's created, which reminds me that I never found out how @sbarrett did it in this thread:

Did you get anywhere with Data Manager @E|FA?

13 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Did you get anywhere with Data Manager @E|FA?

Still learning, and nothing is committed to memory.  I did figure out how to attach Records to objects as they are created, though I don't remember if I did this by connecting the records to the Object type or Class or other?  For instance, I attached a Record with New/Demolish/Existing to Remain Pop-up to all objects.  The intended use is for Worksheet takeoffs and visibility controls, but I haven't set these up to see what really works.  

I'll try to remember to dig up my notes and post the steps.  Feel free to bump this if I let it slip too long.  

I'm pretty sure @drelARCH's post is the step-by-step guide I used in addition to VW University's: https://university.vectorworks.net/course/view.php?id=231

Instead of using step 2 of "select Class-based Object from Objects window":

A. Select "Plug-in Objects (Built-in)" -> select "Wall".  I ignore the checkmarks in the "Use" column, but they probably mean something.

B. In the "Data Sets Attached by this Mapping:" tab, click "Add Data Set..." at the bottom.

C. Click on "Records" flippy triangle, find your (previously created) custom Record, and click OK.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Stéphane said:

To further develop my issue : 

I have a styled wall (concrete/isolation/coating). From one wall to another I would like to change the color of that coating. If I have a wall with a blue coating and another wall (same components) with a white coating, I need two different styled walls (ie concrete/isolation/blue coating and concrete/isolation/white coating) ? Is that correct ? 

I think that's correct and this is one of the limitations of the usefulness of VW wall styles.

In my opinion we should have "wall core/structure" styles, "internal finish" styles and "external finish" styles and each wall object should allow each of these to be set separately. Although this would at first sight create 3x more styles to try and manage, in reality (because of the way buildings are actually put together) I think it would reduce the number of different "wall" styles you'd have to manage in many projects.

I'm sure that all sorts of problems would crop up with my suggested arrangement when someone tried to actually implement it.

• Like 1

I also like the idea of 'simple walls' + 'compound walls' a bit like with Materials. So you could either 'bind' them together before the fact, or draw one wall then the other next to it then bind them together in the drawing to form a 'compound' wall in place. Then you could insert doors/windows through both in one go.

• Like 2

I thought Walls components textures would work a bit like Windows where you have "by instance" 1198006748_Capturedcran2021-12-0712_24_43.png.476963befbda65cf1e4ecde757932c08.png711059842_Capturedcran2021-12-0712_24_53.png.85ca1a6ecaed8c771aa0f7ab4c70553d.png and "by style" 1198006748_Capturedcran2021-12-0712_24_43.png.476963befbda65cf1e4ecde757932c08.png settings. Apparently, this is not the case. For a styled wall, if you click on the Components button in the OIP, you will find out that you can change the top and the bottom level of the component but not its texture which is greyed out. I was wondering if I missed a setting, but you are telling me (as far as I understood it) that this is the normal behavior. 

Might be a wishlist thing ? 

Edited by Stéphane
37 minutes ago, Stéphane said:

I thought Walls components textures would work a bit like Windows where you have "by instance" 1198006748_Capturedcran2021-12-0712_24_43.png.476963befbda65cf1e4ecde757932c08.png711059842_Capturedcran2021-12-0712_24_53.png.85ca1a6ecaed8c771aa0f7ab4c70553d.png and "by style" 1198006748_Capturedcran2021-12-0712_24_43.png.476963befbda65cf1e4ecde757932c08.png settings. Apparently, this is not the case. For a styled wall, if you click on the Components button in the OIP, you will find out that you can change the top and the bottom level of the component but not its texture which is greyed out. I was wondering if I missed a setting, but you are telling me (as far as I understood it) that this is the normal behavior. 

Might be a wishlist thing ? 

You're right not all styles are the same + it's kind of left to users to figure this out. With Walls like you say the top + bottom offsets are editable by instance + similarly with Slabs the edge offsets are editable on an instance by instance basis. But with Roofs interestingly the edge conditions can be set only within the style (although other things such as Roof Settings are editable by instance). And yet you are right other styles like Doors, windows, hardscapes, etc give you full control over which settings are going to be by style + which by instance + this flexibility is presented as the defining feature of styles, yet obviously not all styles...

Personally I'm happy with the way walls + slabs are (in terms of only being able to edit component offsets) but I would like more control over roofs. The edge conditions should be controllable by instance + on an edge by edge basis in common with Slabs. At the moment they apply to the roof as a whole + you need to ungroup the roof + turn it into individual roof faces + give each roof face it's own style in order to have each part of the roof doing something different. and even when you do this there's no guarantee it's going to play ball: I submitted a bug recently where I ended up with a roof face that completely lost the plot + I couldn't exert any control whatsoever over the components.

Actually going back to walls, I think I'm right to say that you can edit the height + top/bottom of a Wall that's already been inserted in the drawing without it affecting its style status, but if you attempt to change the style height before you insert it, the wall will become Unstyled automatically. It would be useful to have a wall style + be able to insert it at different heights without it becoming unstyled in the process. So a greater degree of control would be useful there.