Making new Classes

16 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I think class filters are indispensable. I have about 10 ones I use all the time saved in my template file. I only wish you could use class filters in the 'New Class' dialog when importing classes. I have more classes than ever in my standards file + yet here of all places I can't use a filter (or search for that matter).

Could you please post a screen shot to where I find class filters?

3 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Thanks... noob here.

I wonder if there's a way to change the font size on the text within the "Navigation-Classes", (The Classes Labels)?

Or even a way to edit it? e.g. Inserting line breaks? etc... I know you can set up sub-classes. I'm talking more a visual eye thing. Much the way you can add colors and lines to Excel.

Do you mean change the size for labels for text objects in the new classes? Or the font size for the navigation palette? 

The first can be done by using text styles at the bottom left of the class graphic settings...changing txt size in the palettes themselves is probably a system-level change. There are 8-10 default text styles, but you can create a custom one and save it in the RM.

you can set up subclasses with a dash (class-subclass). I think it lets you go four levels deep. A lot of BIM objects will have subclass settings to turn things like tags and material visibilities on and off.

After spending grad school trying to create my own super-duper ultra-perfect drawing organization, I've surrendered just importing the stock plug-in objects and tweaking the organization as necessary. The biggest gotcha I've run into are the self-populating classes that come with BIM objects, so using the default VW organization has been easier for getting to know the program's logic. 1702659142_ScreenShot2022-02-02at11_00_28AM.thumb.png.4c70ca00b7a3d0bb7c099c56fc1ab4de.png

• Like 1
On 11/23/2021 at 6:06 PM, Tom W. said:

If you create a file with all your classes in then save it in the 'Standards' User folder you will be able to access it when you open the 'New Class' dialog: select 'Import classes' + your file will be there in the drop-down + you'll be able to import any of your standard classes into your current file.

The same applies to design layers + sheet layers

The other option is to create an object in that class (say the class name as a piece of text) copying, dragging that in to any file brings all class attributes with it.

Make a symbol out of groups of these in your library bring them in as you need.  Make the symbol a legend to suit that drawing style drop it inside the viewport and the veiwport will ask if you want to turn on the classes in that legend. 

Closest workflow I've found to viewport styles so far. 

• Like 2