Publishing to cloud filename

thinkingpencil

Question

Since the Design Summit 21 I've been publishing to the cloud using Vectorworks Service Select. Brilliant! Thought I'd share an experience. Cloud publishing is not possible if your filename has the usual unsupported characters like "&" "-" etc. This also applies to folder names. The error message is "file must be saved to cloud"....so the unsupported characters prevent uploading even though you've saved the file (and folder) to your desktop mapped drive.

• Like 2

5 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That's great that you are liking publishing to Vectorworks Cloud Services. It certainly is handy.

It's true that some unsupported characters in file or folder names cause sync issues. For anyone who comes across this threads and wonders that the characters are, here's s screenshot that will help:

Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 12.10.35.png

• Like 2

@thinkingpencil + @Neil Barman sorry for my ignorance but is the idea that you publish your sheets with 'update visible out of date viewports prior to exporting' checked + in this way the VPs get rendered on the cloud? (rather than manually updating VPs before publishing as I normally do). I am kind of vaguely aware that you can render VPs on the cloud + get on with other stuff whilst it's happening but wasn't sure how you did it. Is this the method or do you do something else? Couldn't find anything out there to explain it. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
19 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Thank you Dave. But am I right to say that you need to send out of date VPs to the Cloud with 'update visible out of date viewports prior to exporting' checked in order to get the benefit of the rendering happening in the Cloud? I should just try it + find out... 

Yes that's right, the cloud will update your viewports for you.

• Like 2