ProjectionViz // Rendering Thread

trashcan

If you want the projectors to really emulate projector brightness, then you turn off the image plane in the viewport:

image.png.f3a3c1bdaf32d7bf71c96f3ec596945a.png

This looks pretty bad when you have multiple projectors w/ overlap. 

The problem here is brightness! Is there a way to turn down the brightness that the projector is emulating to be more realistic? 

I understand why it's blending the way it is. Perhaps, there's a way to include the image plane but bring the opacity of it down? 

Since the Image Plane is classed, perhaps I can modify it's opacity as a Viewport override:

image.png.950af188617b04bbdc422bdcb56538ea.png

Nope, that's not right either. No dice. 

Also, turning the image plane on kills shadows. We don't want that! 

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2021 at 3:53 PM, trashcan said:

If you want the projectors to really emulate projector brightness, then you turn off the image plane in the viewport:

image.png.f3a3c1bdaf32d7bf71c96f3ec596945a.png

This looks pretty bad when you have multiple projectors w/ overlap. 

The problem here is brightness! Is there a way to turn down the brightness that the projector is emulating to be more realistic? 

I understand why it's blending the way it is. Perhaps, there's a way to include the image plane but bring the opacity of it down? 

Since the Image Plane is classed, perhaps I can modify it's opacity as a Viewport override:

image.png.950af188617b04bbdc422bdcb56538ea.png

Nope, that's not right either. No dice. 

Also, turning the image plane on kills shadows. We don't want that! 

Try this:

862120750_ScreenShot2022-01-21at12_02_29PM.thumb.png.e6c7950783c3bcd313abc3c5c8ac3fb5.png

Test results:

• Lowering brightness works as expected
  • Soft shadows kills the image (do not check this box)
  • Lit fog creates a general atmosphere but does not reveal the cones (because Show cone is not checked in the OIP)
    • If Show cone is checked, the cones will render all the way to the image plane extents (vs stopping at the surface they're hitting), blowing out the render, and giving the appearance of The Fortress of Solitude
      • This might work if Show cone is checked and the RW Background has Receive shadows checked (but this drastically increases render time)

I still haven't figure out how to eliminate the "sawtooth" overlap (short of masking it). I thought lowering the brightness and increasing the quality (particularly Anti-aliasing) would work but no dice:

2064627143_ScreenShot2022-01-21at7_59_58PM.thumb.png.ba5bf65f2f935fe14f54660ade01b190.png