VWX 2022 Buggy?

trashcan

Question

On 11/20/2021 at 5:10 PM, Matt Panzer said:

As for general performance of the application related to walls:  The re-engineered walls in 2022 do handle geometry different than in previous versions.  Previous versions did some unconventional things to try to speed working with walls in Top/Plan view.  VW 2022 treats wall 3D geometry the same way it treats other 3D objects in Vectorworks.  This allowed us to remove a lot of special handling code that was the root of a lot of issues.  This means the 3D geometry in walls may have some effect on performance, but I have not noticed any difference myself.  However, wall closure profiles and wrapping does add more complex geometry to the walls and that can also affect performance.

Matt,

I always appreciate these explanations! Thank you for sharing!

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 11/21/2021 at 10:20 AM, Tom W. said:

Excellent thank you messaging you now!

I got your file, Tom.  Thank you!

I did pass the file to some of our engineers for them to have a look.

I have to admit, I did not see a big difference in performance between VW 2021 and 2022.  However, there was some slightly more noticeable "pausing" while navigating the models in Shaded view on my 4K monitor hooked up to my Mac laptop.  However, I could not notice any difference after moving the Vectorworks window to my laptop.  Of course, I'm not recommending you use a lower resolution monitor, but just stating the observation for what it's worth.

What would be very helpful is if you could send me a video of the problem on your monitor.  This will help us to see if this is a similar issue that I was or something else.  Could you do this when you have a chance?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

I got your file, Tom.  Thank you!

I did pass the file to some of our engineers for them to have a look.

I have to admit, I did not see a big difference in performance between VW 2021 and 2022.  However, there was some slightly more noticeable "pausing" while navigating the models in Shaded view on my 4K monitor hooked up to my Mac laptop.  However, I could not notice any difference after moving the Vectorworks window to my laptop.  Of course, I'm not recommending you use a lower resolution monitor, but just stating the observation for what it's worth.

What would be very helpful is if you could send me a video of the problem on your monitor.  This will help us to see if this is a similar issue that I was or something else.  Could you do this when you have a chance?

Thank you Matt. Hmm that's strange that you only experienced slight pausing! I wonder what's going on at my end then... It's interesting what you say about monitor resolution as I'm using a 5K iMac. I have a 2nd screen which is 4K + I dragged VW over to that but wouldn't say it was massively better over there: a little perhaps but still 'not right'. Here is a video showing me simply moving the cursor around the model (on the 5K screen), waiting for objects to pre-select. I have Layer Options set to Show/Snap/Modify Others which is why some objects pre-select blue (on the active layer) + orange (on the other layers), but I'm not actually clicking on anything, just moving the cursor around. I hope you can see that some objects pre-select immediately whereas others (the black timber walls) take much longer: several seconds sometimes. Then I do some navigating with the Flyover Tool in Interactive Origin Mode: it often takes a while after clicking for the flyover origin to appear then again a delay after clicking + dragging for the model to follow through + rotate... Bit hard to convey in a movie but you clearly weren't experiencing the same thing so I wonder what's going on!!!

I'll make a movie of the same model in VW2021 as a comparison...

• Like 1

@Matt Panzer here is the same model exported to VW2021 + this is how I'd expect it to behave. Objects preselect + select immediately. Navigation happens immediately. There's the odd occasional slight pause but nothing to get in a tizz about. This is on the 5K monitor like the VW2022 movie. If it wasn't for the radically different behaviour between the two versions (which I hope is slightly apparent from the movies) I'd assume it was something I'd done or something peculiar to the file. Just strange that neither you nor @line-weight have experienced anything approaching the lagginess I'm living with. Your laptop is Intel Matt or M1?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks for the information and videos!

The issue I was initially testing for was more navigation while in Shaded render mode.

The preselection highlighting is something I was able to reproduce.  However, when I restarted VW, the problem seemed to go away.  So, I'm guessing this problem gets worse while you're working.

In any case, I'll pass this information and the videos along to the engineers.

When I looked at @Tom W.'s model I didn't see the extreme lagginess in preselection that is visible in the videos above, but I did see it navigating with the Flyover Tool in Interactive Origin Mode (not doing anything directly related to wall objects). This became very laggy, to the point of being unusable. And this wasn't the case when I looked at the same model in VW2021.

Edited by line-weight

So I have taken one of the wall objects from Tom W's file and pasted it into a new empty file. I've duplicated it, and also drawn a simple extrude. I've placed all of these objects close to 0,0,0 to rule that out as a contributing factor. The test I am doing is selecting various points on the extrude to set the flyover origin.

First I try this with the wall objects "behind" me. Selection on the extrude is not instantaneous; it's a little bit laggy, but not extreme.

Then I change the viewpoint so that the wall objects are behind the extrude and try doing the same thing. You can see that the lagginess now increases substantially and I can induce some beachballs.

Note that in the final bit of the video, I am getting some substantial lag on preselecting the wall objects, although this seems to come and go in phases.

(As an aside, I don't seem to get an orange selection box on the extrude object - why's that??)

This behaviour really reminds me a lot of the problems with the push-pull tool not selecting faces, that I've been complaining about for several years now. Similarly, it seems worst when there are any complex objects in the background of the viewpoint. It's a problem that I've already identified as continuing to exist in VW2022. I've not managed to prompt any feedback on whether this problem is being addressed.

• Like 3

Thank you @line-weight for looking at this. I definitely think, as I said in an earlier post, it's to do with my multi-component walls. The walls you copied into your test file have 13 components. There is another wall in my model which has 15 components. These are the worst offenders + when I replace these styles for much simpler 2 component walls, the navigation/selection issues disappear. In fact, I then find the issue switches to the internal partition walls which have 9 components. And I definitely feel that all these problems started when I first introduced these particular walls into the file. And this is why maybe other people haven't been reporting the same thing, because it's only when your walls have perhaps 8+ components in them that the problems arise?

But I routinely used walls like these in VW2020 + VW2021 without issue.

Vectorworks 2022, SP2 has been very slow and buggy for me. I have a MacBook Pro M1 Max with 32g RAM, so I am frustrated. I have been using VW since it was a young MiniCAD and have been getting very frustrated with new bells and whistles with great promise that don't seem ready for primetime. Instead of fixing existing issues, with each update, more half-baked gadgets are introduced. I'm getting pretty disillusioned with VW.

Mark Kennedy

Exhibit Designer

• Like 2