cannot seem to get all three walls in the garage to meet the roof

I'm back with yet another question. Sorry about that. This time as the embedded image shows, I cannot seem to get all the walls to extend up to meet the roof. Wall clipping for the roof object does show that 3 walls have been selected, the two end walls and the front facing wall, but the display doesn't show it. How do I get this to display correctly?

garage vw2022.png

39 minutes ago, Jbscalia said:

how do I get the garage doors moved down as the garage floor is 15" lower than the main level?

In the Door in Wall settings in the OIP, look for the Height: input (towards the top) and enter -15"

Edited by E|FA
Remove confusing quote marks

Hey Tom,

that worked for gable on the front of the garage, but not for the gable on the side near the front of the house. Well, it only sort of worked, I should say. When I did the Fit Walls to Object it did extend the wall, but it screwed up where the windows in that wall were, as in it made a void above the windows extending all the way to the roof. I don't know if it's something about how the windows are defined or inserted, but it does this fairly consistently. Any ideas?

And E|FA, thatworks but if I turn on the foundation layer, the foundation walls cover up the bottom of the doors. Is there a way to have the top of the foundation wall wrap around the bottom of the door?

--

Jay

1 hour ago, Jbscalia said:

Hey Tom,

that worked for gable on the front of the garage, but not for the gable on the side near the front of the house. Well, it only sort of worked, I should say. When I did the Fit Walls to Object it did extend the wall, but it screwed up where the windows in that wall were, as in it made a void above the windows extending all the way to the roof. I don't know if it's something about how the windows are defined or inserted, but it does this fairly consistently. Any ideas?

And E|FA, thatworks but if I turn on the foundation layer, the foundation walls cover up the bottom of the doors. Is there a way to have the top of the foundation wall wrap around the bottom of the door?

--

Jay

Maybe you should post the file

For the door pocket (opening) in the foundation wall you can deal with that in three ways.

1. create a door or window opening in the foundation wall that aligns with the garage door in the wall above.  (this is what I do when I have a window that spans two floors)

2. create a wall recess in the foundation wall that aligns with the garage door in the wall above   (this is the one I use for garage doors)

3. Use the reshape tool on the foundation wall to create the door pocket around the garage door (I find this method the most cumbersome)

For the gable wall in the garage,  Make sure the roof extends completely over the wall, you can always temporarily extend it.  Sometimes it is good to isolate the roof to it's own layer so that when you use the AEC fit walls to objects command that is the only object it has to find.  

Edited by TomKen
  • Like 1

Tom W.

i figured out why the fit walls to objects failed, The windows didn't break the wall properly. I have removed those and put new windows into wall, and it works perfectly now.

I do need to replace one of the garage doors now as the effort to lower the doors and the wall, screwed that one up.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, TomKen said:

1. create a door or window opening in the foundation wall that aligns with the garage door in the wall above.  (this is what I do when I have a window that spans two floors)

2. create a wall recess in the foundation wall that aligns with the garage door in the wall above   (this is the one I use for garage doors)

These are the two options i use.  I don't use Stories, everything is based on Layer heights.  I'm not sure if a Story workflow changes anything.

The garage is now looking correct, but I'm wondering about one more item. I've places a grouping of 3 windows in the bonus room above the garage, a paladium window flanked by 2 slightly snaller windows. Currently I have them on the first floor layout, with the elevations set to around 15' , but I'm wondering if I should move these to the 2nd floor layout, as I'm not sure these will be properly drawn on the hard copy plans.

ok, things don't look quite right. With a bonus room above the garage, should I rework the first floor walls so they terminate at the bottom of the 2nd floor, than extend the 2nd floors walls up to the roof? As it is now, the grouping of the 3 windows appear to be floating in space on the top view. The wall extension from the first floor layout is showing the breaks in the wall where the garage doors are.