Roof falls apart

I spent 2 hours last night chasing some very strange behavior in my first project. Of course at this point I always initially assume that the problem is mine rather than a bug, but after careful research I'm not so sure..

In it's simplest form (which I have achieved by deleting all classes and layers in the project other than the ones discussed here) I have two layers:

1: floor layer

2: roof layer

All objects are in "none" class.

A: Simple rectangle gable roof on roof layer, created using the "create roof..." command on the roof layer. Both faces of this roof are part of the same group (not sure if "group" is the correct term, let's just say they were created at the same time and when clicked on, are selected as one object).

B: SOG floor on floor layer.

C: A couple of simple one cavity walls on the floor layer.

(the roof isn't directly over the floor because the displayed roof/floor are for different parts of the house)

The displaying, rendering, rotating behaviors of both layers and various objects are as anticipated when displayed in their respective layers.

I added a third layer which I layer link to both roof and floor layers...

Linked view rotates and views properly in all render modes accept for OpenGL. In OpenGL, the walls don't diplay at all but the alignment is fine initially. The alignment however, falls all to pieces (literally) if you rotate the view using say the flyover tool... it immediately takes one face of the roof and drops it about 20'. If you use the numberpad to rotate the view it will also screw up the alignment, but only some of the time.

Oh, and the kicker is...delete the 2 simple walls on the slab and everything rotates and views fine.

Should I submit the file for someone to look at or is there something obvious here?

Thanks

JB

[ 01-10-2005, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: ThinAirDesigns ]

• 2 weeks later...