Quantity take-offs per property?

Is it possible to divide quantity take offs between different properties in worksheets in some way? I have 7 different properties and it'd be super sweet if I could get a worksheet with quantities per area. Currently all I have is a worksheet with all combined quantities for all areas.

The only solution I've figured out so far would be to create separate layers for all properties, but I was hoping there might be an easier way of doing it? The objects are mainly landscape areas (consisting of materials), walls (for curbs and retaining walls) and plants. No buildings for me. 

image.thumb.png.8a875bb671c97c3615a81c9cffa87365.png

Edited by Anders Blomberg
  • Anders Blomberg changed the title to Quantity take-offs per property?

You have to have some what to separate the properties. The three easiest would be by Layer, by Class, or by Record. Of the three, By Record would require the least changes to the drawing. By Layer or By Class might be better if you could specify them earlier in the design process.

Create a Custom Record Format with a field "Property_Identifier" (name it what you want. I recommend no spaces in the name".  Select all the objects for one property and Attach the record format to those objects and set the Property_Identifier field. Repeat for the other properties.

You can now add a database criteria of Record.Property_Identifier is 'Property one" (or whatever you used) to limit the database to just that property.

Or if you only have a few different properties, create separate Record Formats for each property. That way you don't have to set a field and then check the field you can just use Record is Present in the database criteria.

The problem with this is that you will have to remember to go back and attach the record when new objects are added. It will not be automatic.

HTH

• Like 2

Not sure if it's applicable in this situation, but at least for "ordinary"  drawing objects, you could  give a name to the property polyline (or draw a separate closed helper polyline) at the bottom of the OIP and then use that as a criteria for each worksheet (LOC or location function if I recall correctly). I've used this method to separate different building phases, bids etc.

An  extrusion (=an object with a volume) might also work, using the same principle, if you have stuff at multiple elevations. Or a space object that has height.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JMR said:

Not sure if it's applicable in this situation, but at least for "ordinary"  drawing objects, you could  give a name to the property polyline (or draw a separate closed helper polyline) at the bottom of the OIP and then use that as a criteria for each worksheet (LOC or location function if I recall correctly). I've used this method to separate different building phases, bids etc.

An  extrusion (=an object with a volume) might also work, using the same principle, if you have stuff at multiple elevations. Or a space object that has height.

Wow, very Cool! Seems to work the way I was hoping for! Sometimes VW really delivers! EDIT: I had it set up all wrong but figured it out so now I got it exactly like I wanted. HUGE thanks @JMR!

image.thumb.png.30e9717bc383296cddd7a90a463b5dd9.png

Edited by Anders Blomberg

Are the wall objects completely within the area? If not, then it probably has to do with where VW thinks they are.  I suggest you make a test file with a named polygon for a a LOC and a wall. Move the wall around and recalc the worksheet to see when VW thinks it is in the LOC.  Try both the Start and End of the wall being the only part in the Loc. Also try putting only part of the thickness of the wall inside the LOC. I would try both the left and right edges of the wall and see if they react differently.

• Like 1

This could also be an issue with the 3D nature of the walls...that is, if the named polyline sits at a certain Z and the bottom(?) of the wall doesn't, the LOC function might not find it. I have ran into this with some doors and symbols not exactly at the DL elevation.

Also try extruding the property polyline so that you can be sure everything sits within it, or use a space object that has height. It's worth trying at least.

As to why only the rounded walls, that indeed is a bit weird. Do they have the same elevations/heights that the non-picked up walls have?

@Pat Stanford Thanks for the suggestion. I made a trial file, attached here, and I'm still seeing some strange behaviour, although inconsistent with the issues in my project file. In the trial file I can actually filter out round walls on or outside the location boundary, no matter if it's an area or a volume boundary. In this file though, all straight walls still appears in the worksheet, no matter if they're located within or outside the boundary. Strangely this is the opposite behaviour from my project file where I don't get any straight walls at all in the worksheet.

1914296932_Skrmavbild2021-11-20kl_09_22_22.thumb.png.72b77092af654c684d39d523c524222f.png

Boundary trial.vwx

I can get the area boundary to work with VW 2021. A bug in 2022?

For some reason, 2022 doesn't recognize the boundary properly? Also, it regards straight and round walls as same type of objects.

A screenshot from 2021:

image.thumb.png.52d64b0a727b59c0f0f129256e4c0ede.png

A screenshot from 2022, as you can see, wall locations are not recognized:

image.thumb.png.fc34beb2e68e11454130080da6b583b7.png

I adjusted the worksheets so that the object type criteria was removed in order to see everything that is inside a boundary. Also added the objecttypename.

Enclosed are the files as well.

As to the LOC search criteria being able to recognize the Z value, I think I was wrong as Pat explains the LOC here in detail:

Boundary trial test 2022 v2021.vwx Boundary trial test 2022.vwx

On 11/21/2021 at 5:57 PM, JMR said:

Also, it regards straight and round walls as same type of objects.

So this is a new feature for 2022 I believe. Which makes it really weird that the straight and round walls behave differently with the location filter. I guess they're still separate types under the hood somehow. 

On 11/21/2021 at 5:57 PM, JMR said:

A bug in 2022?

Anyone at VW read this? Can we look forward to a solution?