What Document Preferences should I set to speed up performance

E|FA

Question

I'm getting more beachball delays than usual.  It could be VW 2022, something wrong with the file I'm working on, etc.  I was wondering if it could be some of my default document settings, such as the caches (screenshot attached).  Does anyone have any advice on whether any of these settings (or others) can be changed to speed things up?

FYI, I have Undos set to 30, and also set Autosave to every 30 actions, so if I have to undo more than 30 actions, I can go to a backup.  Is this a reasonable balance between the Undo memory requirements, and how often it saves to disk?

System info in my signature is up to date.  The file I'm working on is 28MB.  

Thanks

519405401_DocumentPrefs.thumb.jpg.2435162c9971904c8f7610ccff255500.jpg

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

I feel like it's VW2022. I have found zooming/rotating in Shaded very slow - there is delay before anything happens - plus selecting objects again is often delayed. And now I'm in my site model file + it's not right at all. I changed the site model graphic attributes + it took an age to update, and now having selected the Stake Tool it's virtually ground to a halt: spinning beach balls for minutes at a time each time I try + do anything. Currently trying to deselect the tool just to be able to be able to work on the file again... Ok finally managed to get back to the Selection Tool + VW is happier now but that was 10 mins wasted stuck in the Stake Tool unable to do anything as every time I moved the cursor I got a spinning beach ball...

My settings are no different to what they were in VW2020 + VW2021. I'm working on files that were fine in both previous versions too. For me it feels like a VW2022 problem. 

• Like 2

V2022 is slow to complete an auto backup. The green bubble indicates backup completed. But subsequent clicks or actions invoke the beachball..  The backup process consumes about 15 to 20 seconds from start of the auto backup. I’m in a default workspace, small files. Have not tried any huge files. Hardware limitations are probably contributing. 

-B

14 hours ago, E|FA said:

Any idea if this is a known & reported issue with the VW engineering team?  Is a bug report warranted?

I did mention the perceived VW2022 lagginess to Matt Panzer in another thread + he suggested I filed a bug but at that time I had three others to file plus I wasn't sure what exactly I'd be saying: like you, I wasn't entirely sure it wasn't something to do with my file or my settings but have been mentioning it where I can + have picked up quite a few other people saying the same... I really need to export my current project to VW2021 + check how it behaves there but haven't had a chance yet.