Point cloud in sheet layer viewport

kwik

Question

Hi. I have set up a file with a point cloud an have displayed the point cloud on a sheet layer in two different viewports. The file is set up in v2021, but when changing to v2022 (SP 1.1) the viewports doesn't show the point file after updating them. The point cloud shown in the pictures below illustrates the problem. They are set up using a Clip Cube in order to show only a small part of the point cloud and a particular building. If i try creating a viewport showing the entire point cloud, without a Clip Cube, it's fine in both versions. However, the size of the individual points are smaller in 2022. Haven't found a way to control the point size, and would also like to have feedback about that too...

Point cloud viewports v2021.png

Point cloud viewports before update v2022.png

Point cloud viewports after utpdate v2022.png

8 answers to this question

6 hours ago, kwik said:

However, the size of the individual points are smaller in 2022. Haven't found a way to control the point size, and would also like to have feedback about that too...

Adjusting the DPI of the sheet layer is a way to change the size of the points: a lower DPI will result in larger points

• Like 1

@kwik Welcome to the forum!

look on your v2022 design layer to verify that the point cloud geometry is present and located where expected. The design layer might be renamed or set to invisible and therefor nothing displays in the VP.  

But usually class settings are the culpret when object visibility is incorrect. Just a guess here, but after conversion to v2022, some of the classes might be missing or set to invisible. Or, in the viewport some classes might have overrides set to invisible. 

another idea - the point cloud is outside the viewport crop. Possibly because of georeferencing, or VP scale? To test, edit the crop.

If this is a clip cube VP, verify that the clip cube settings are all relevant.

Ok post back if more info or especially if you solve this. 

-B

Also @kwik the way your points are displaying with the vertical linear bands in your front elevation VP is similar to something I experienced recently - see this post:

This may be completely unrelated to the issue you're witnessing with the geometry disappearing in the VPs when you update them but I thought I'd mention it. Basically unless I imported my point clouds centred on the User Origin they didn't display correctly (they were stripy like yours). Normally we don't need to be concerned about the User Origin affecting graphics - it's the Internal Origin one needs to ensure is in close proximity to the geometry - but in my (limited) experience with point clouds they had to be imported at 0,0 in order for the full complement of points to display. Then I had to manually move them to the correct geographical location. Not ideal.

7 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

@kwik Welcome to the forum!

look on your v2022 design layer to verify that the point cloud geometry is present and located where expected. The design layer might be renamed or set to invisible and therefor nothing displays in the VP.  

But usually class settings are the culpret when object visibility is incorrect. Just a guess here, but after conversion to v2022, some of the classes might be missing or set to invisible. Or, in the viewport some classes might have overrides set to invisible. 

another idea - the point cloud is outside the viewport crop. Possibly because of georeferencing, or VP scale? To test, edit the crop.

If this is a clip cube VP, verify that the clip cube settings are all relevant.

Ok post back if more info or especially if you solve this. 

-B

Thanks for all the suggestions, Benson! I have tried to go through all your suggestions, but I'm still not able to correct it

• the point cloud geometry is still present on the v2022 design layer
  • not showing after making all classes visible, both in the viewport and the sheet layer.
  • the cloud is not outside the viewport area either. See the screenshot below. When hovering over the viewport, the edge of the point cloud is shown with dashed lines both before and after the viewport is updated. I can even see the preview-snapping of points in the cloud when resting the cursor. But the points themselves is not visible... arghh
  • Clip cube settings? I'm relatively new to vectorworks, as you might suspect but as far i can see the settings are OK. I can go to the design layer and see the clip cube perfectly fine. From any angle. 

I think this has to do with the clip cube combined with the viewport in some way. The point cloud disappears when the viewport is updated int the OIP. The point cloud displays nice in a viewport where the clip cube is not used. And like @Tom W. suggests, the size of the points are affected by the sheet layer DPI setting. I have tried to play around with the other settings for the viewport as well, but with no result. ...

Point cloud viewports befare-and-after update v2022.png

On 11/13/2021 at 12:54 AM, Benson Shaw said:

Hi everyone!

I think it since the last update I did (2022 SP2), I do have the same problem happening in my projects.. It's impossible to create a viewport and view the point cloud no matter how I create it, section tools, view menu, clip cube, etc. I did check all the options you guys mentioned and there's nothing to do.... My colleagues have the same problem too. Any new tips or idea?

Thanks