Defining in Record weather Text is Project data or Sheet Data for TitleBlock

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @CMarshall922,

I suppose that you are using VW version 2017 or lower and you are using Sheet Borders? If this is the case you can add "S_" or "P_" prefix to the field names to direct them to Sheet or Project Data respectively.

Anyway, things are much more different in VW2018 and above, since from then Title Block Borders are introduced and with them it is easily visible that you are creating Sheet or Project data fields, as they are part of different records.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

5 minutes ago, Boh said:

Hey @Nikolay Zhelyazkov

The other day I was trying to make a data tag that referenced sheet data but couldn’t find the records in the edit data tag dynamic text dialogue. Can you direct me? Thks 

Hello @Boh,

Unfortunately currently the Data Tag does not "see" these records as they are not visible in the RM either. The way to go would be to manually write the formula. You can use the worksheet database row to get the universal record and field names as shown in the image below.

image.png

Also, since you are the first to ask for this, could you fill in a wishlist item if you want this to work like it works with regular records in the data tag?

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

On 11/12/2021 at 11:06 PM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

You can use the worksheet database row to get the universal record and field names as shown in the image below.

Sorry I didn't get this bit! How did you call up this record in a worksheet?

I'm wondering if something changed between v2019 and v2021 as I've made data tags for title block sheet data records before but don't remember having this problem finding the record.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:56 AM, CMarshall922 said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov
So I created my Title Block. Created a record and did Link record to Text. 
But They all just show up in the Sheet data of the edit Title Block dialogue. (I am Using 2021)
If I create records directly in the edit title block dialogue how do I link those to the text in the Title Block symbol? 

- Please check this topic in the VW help site. https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FSetup%2FLinking_title_block_text_to_data_records.htm&rhsearch=title block border&rhsyns= 

There is more useful information about everything in VW there that you can read and that can help you get to know with the different workflows.

If you still have any questions or this does not help, can you send me a sample file or screen recording showing what you are doing?

11 hours ago, Boh said:

Sorry I didn't get this bit! How did you call up this record in a worksheet?

- The Create Report menu command is one way to do this. Title Block data records are visible there with their localized user-friendly values, but once you create the worksheet you can select the database row and see the universal names that will get the job done in data tags.

image.png

11 hours ago, Boh said:

I'm wondering if something changed between v2019 and v2021 as I've made data tags for title block sheet data records before but don't remember having this problem finding the record.

- The Title Block Border data records were always invisible to the data tag and the RM, at least that is what I remember. I have tested this in 2019 and it works the same as in 2021. Maybe you have created data tags for the TBB PIO data, which is visible to the data tag?