Project plant list or plant catalogue

Marietta

In VW 11, you have a plant catalogue which only has plants listed that you are using in that file. IN VW12, this is no longer there. You get a different version of this when you click on the 'place plant tool' and the settings button. You automatically get the generic plants in this list, and you can add yours. Is there a way to delete plants you don't want to use to clean this up? can you make a default list without the generic plants to use in other files?

Also, when you click on the Edit Current button, and then click on the Plant Data button, shouldn't you get the info on the particular plant you are editing? Sometimes, another plant is listed here?

When I create a new plant description in the place plant settings, the symbol for this plant goes in the top level symbol folder. Shouldn't they go into the Plant catalogue folder under system? Should I move them there?

I noticed the generic plant are not in this folder, or in any folder. One file did have the generic plants in the plant catalogue folder, so they doubled up in the place plant settings box.

Marietta I will try to clarify things a little bit for you ...

What Dean stated is correct. When you launch a blank document and click on the plant tool, the plants that are loaded are from the file are located in default content, which is at the following location:

/Libraries/Defaults/Plants/

Any files that are in that directory and has symbols will be loaded into the plant pop up when you click on the plant preferences and see the plant list. If you want to get rid of the generic default plants we provide for you, you simply have to remove the "Plants.mcd" file from that directory. You can also put any file you have yourself that has plants in it, into that same directory, and those will be loaded every time you click on the plant tool from a blank document.

A few things you need to keep in mind as well are the following:

1. The ~2DSymbols, ~3DSymbols, and ~PlantCatalog folders will no longer be there in your VW12 documents. The plants created in your new document when you make a new one will be at the top level of the document. Once they are created, you can then sort them into any folders you want to put them in, however there is one exception, which brings me to the next point.

2. The plants in the default content files (located in /Libraries/Defaults/Plants/) MUST be at the top level of the document or else they will not be loaded into the plant list when the plant tool is clicked from a new document. So if you have a file that you would like to make a default content file, and plants are down inside folders, make sure you move the plants to the top level of the document before you save it to the default content directory, or else they will not be selectable from the plant tool in a new document.

Hopefully that clears up a few things. If you are still confused post and I will try to help you out as best as possible.

About when you click on the "Plant Data" button, is it bringing up the data for another plant after you had already set it to a specific plant? Or were you selecting one of the generic plants we give you (such as A1), clicking "Plant Data", and not seeing any Annual plant data associated with it?

If it was the latter, that is what should be happening, as we do not have any plant data associated with the generic plants by default. However if it is the first thing happening, then it is a bug.

THANKS. That explains a lot. The manuals didn't seem to address the change from VW11. It seems that I should make a default file with the plants I like to use and put it in the Libraries folder.

When I click on the plant data button for plants that I have added, they do not always refer to the plant I am editing, so that sounds like a bug. A lot of times, it seems to be the plant that either I edited previously, or the plant I previously selected.

I forgot to ask - is there a way to edit the Id or name once you have created that plant? Also is there a way to change the plant symbol connected to the plant once on the drawing? If you change the symbol in the plant settings, it does not update the plants on the drawing and I can't find anything in the object info box where you can do this. I would have to replace the plant and reselect the same plant with the new symbol.

I have been adding some plant symbols that I have used in VW11 to the default 2D plants file, and that seems toi work fine, but when I am adding plants to the default plant symbol file as discussed above, it is behgaving weirdly. I have added plants I have used from other projects (VW11).

Just thinking, if these plants are not in the plant reference data file first before placing them in the plant symbol file, does that cause these plants not to be valid, or the name of the plants to change in the plant selection box? Some were imported from original VW11 files and the plants were not in the new plant reference data. Would the plant reference data file update automatically when you import from another file? What would be the best way to deal with this?

OMG [Eek!][Eek!]

This is not the sort of stuff I/we need to read in a just released new version, especially one that claims big advances in the very problems outlined above, ie the place plant tool.

Why does each version have to be one step forward and 2 steps back [Confused]

Note: Marietta is no bunny when it comes to using landmark effectively whats more.

Thanks Viper.

I can't really use VW12 until this is sorted out or explained better so that we don't get frustrated and lose the proper plant definitions. We need to know how to move over the items we developed in VW11 to VW12 easily. It appears that we need to update the default files first and make sure they are running properly before starting on new projects- and then hopefully we don't get freezes and crashes. There are aspects of VW12 that seem great, if we can feel confident in using them.

Andrew, can you clarify these and maybe set up guidelines for updating for everyone?

• 1 month later...

Issue 1

I would also be interested in finding a way to edit the plant ID and name once created.

Issue 2

We are updating our plant database/catalog and so far most everything is working properly, with one exception, when entering the COST DATA dialog box and inputing the SKU number. VW12 seems to accept it ok initially, but when I go back to check/change anything the SKU dialog box is empty, although we did discover that it will appear when placing the plant list. Is this another bug to add to the list??

Thanks for the information

Pamela,

The plant ID and names cannot be edited once they are created. It was a design decision that we stuck by for the time being in the manner that if one wants to change the ID or Name of the plant, they can just create a new plant with the one they want to change selected. When you click on "New Plant..." it will load up the settings of the currently selected plant in the place plant tool so you can easily duplicate plants.

The second issue looks like its a bug and if you can give specific directions as I cannot reproduce it here on my end, thanks.

Thanks for the response.

I understand the decision to not allow changes, but from a VW users standpoint, now I have to duplicate my plant, make corrections and be sure to delete the incorrect plant from the database, rather than simply correct an ID or name. Will this decision be reversed in the next version??

As for the disappearing SKU Numbers.

procedure is as follows

(I have tried this on new and it seems to work properly, but when I open our drawing with the plant catalog information it refuses to work.)

Select place plant tool

Select settings button to bring up the dialog box

Select create new plant

In the plant definition tab select the PLANT COST button

Fill in the SKU number box

Select ok

When rechecking the data for the plant just created the SKU dialog box is blank

I have modified a Plant list to include the SKU number for our purposes and when I insert this plant list into the drawing the SKU will show correctly there, just not in the plant definition dialog boxes. I can live with this bug as long as my plant lists are complete and correct.

I hope that makes sense.

After several tries to see if I was doing something wrong, I got varied results. It works correctly on a new file, won't work on my converted plant catalog file and on occasion in both old and new files crashed the system and closed vector works with the "Do you want to send error report" message.

Thanks for the help.