Vectorworks 2022 and 2021 Mac 16" M1 Max

Eric Chase

Question

Hi,

I've been frustrated in the past with Apple products and vectorworks being cumbersome. Seems like every new VWX upgrades gets slower and slower.

I have recently purchased the 2021 Macbook Pro 16 inch. 64 GB memeory, Apple M1 Max chip, OS Monterey. I've also updated to Vectorworks 2022. 

On that computer, when I open a vwx file in Vectorworks 2021, go to a sheet layer, and attempt to change the crop size, it's slow but will eventually work. When I open the same file, on the same computer, to the same sheet layer in Vectorworks 2022, I've had the program crash twice attempting to change the crop size. The 3rd time it was significantly slower than on VWX 2021.

I've also notice that the graphics are much slower to load on Vectorworks 2022. This is true on both my old laptop (Macbook Pro 2018) and the new macbook pro. It's better on the new macbook pro, but graphics are still much slower than VWX 2021

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

I too am having a lot of trouble with 2022 running extremely slowly on my 2019 16" MBP fully loaded RAM and upgraded GPU. It's totally fine until the fan starts running... moment the fan starts running everything in VW slows to a crawl. 2020 was running fine (in this respect) on this machine. 

On 11/10/2021 at 1:01 PM, Eric Chase said:

Hi,

I've been frustrated in the past with Apple products and vectorworks being cumbersome. Seems like every new VWX upgrades gets slower and slower.

I have recently purchased the 2021 Macbook Pro 16 inch. 64 GB memeory, Apple M1 Max chip, OS Monterey. I've also updated to Vectorworks 2022. 

On that computer, when I open a vwx file in Vectorworks 2021, go to a sheet layer, and attempt to change the crop size, it's slow but will eventually work. When I open the same file, on the same computer, to the same sheet layer in Vectorworks 2022, I've had the program crash twice attempting to change the crop size. The 3rd time it was significantly slower than on VWX 2021.

I've also notice that the graphics are much slower to load on Vectorworks 2022. This is true on both my old laptop (Macbook Pro 2018) and the new macbook pro. It's better on the new macbook pro, but graphics are still much slower than VWX 2021

I’m having the same issues with the same computer. Eric, if it makes you feel any better, I tried the same file on a Mac and a windows computer with VW 2022 and got the same results. Almost unusable. I now am needing to shut off portions of the drawing just to work it in and turning those classes on just for reference while I draw. I was hoping the fast service packs coming through would help, but doesn’t seem to be the case..