Cursor size/presentation.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
9 hours ago, Eamonn said:

How would I change the cursor settings within VW itself? There are different way to present and use the cursor?

Any cursor settings that you can change within Vectorworks would be within the Vectorworks Preferences > Interactive.

Keep in mind that since your computer's cursor is primarily an operating system "tool", some of the ways you may want your cursor to behave or appear may be treated to the OS and not Vectorworks. For example, when I present on my Mac, I use either Mouseposé or Presentify to highlight the location of my cursor wherever it is on the screen no matter what application I'm showing. Since this is applied across all applications it is not a Vectorworks-centric function.

• 2 years later...

Coming into this thread from 2024 as it seems there is now something going on with the cursor size (I imagine it's trying to be like autocad?) 

Whenever I hover over the drawing space, the cursor gets larger. I don't want this to happen!

Is there a way to disable this to be like previous versions? 

2 hours ago, anniemitch said:

Coming into this thread from 2024 as it seems there is now something going on with the cursor size (I imagine it's trying to be like autocad?) 

Whenever I hover over the drawing space, the cursor gets larger. I don't want this to happen!

The preferences that control the Cursor Selection Box size and Snap Box size are located on the Interactive pane of the Vw Preferences.

Vw 2024 Help File : Setting Vectorworks Preferences

On 1/8/2024 at 6:41 AM, anniemitch said:

@anniemitch I don't recognize what you are describing as being a Vectorworks option. That sounds to me more like it's related to the Mac's accessibility options that Benson mentioned above. If you have tried adjust those Mac settings (assuming you're using a Mac) and it's still occurring, could you share a screen recording of it happening; that will help see what you are referring to.

1 minute ago, E|FA said:

I believe the Mac OS cursor interface referenced by @Benson Shaw is system-wide & would not change on a per application basis or when hovering over the drawing space.

Correct, which is why seeing a screen recording of the cursor changing should help determine what's going on. As described, the cursor size change doesn't sound like a Vectorworks setting to me. @E|FA do you recognize what is being described? 

I intermittently see the cursor arrow enlarge temporarily if I move  the mouse  vigorously, eg shake it side to side. Need to observe more - might be system wide rather than only in vwx. Cursor returns to usual size after a second or less of calm mouse. Normal speed moves do not engender this effect. I attribute effect to my bargain basement Logitech mouse, and/or default MacOS mouse driver, but never tried to chase it down.

I installed SteerMouse long ago, but for some reason removed it. Perhaps posted problem could be conflict with or setting in a custom mouse driver?

-B

On 1/12/2024 at 11:43 PM, Neil Barman said:

@anniemitch That sounds to me more like it's related to the Mac's accessibility options that Benson mentioned above.

Hiya, 

Thank you but I am on Windows! And have changed no settings, just installed the new VW 2024 and it started happening. 

Here is a screen recording - unfortunately I also forgot my mouse today so dealing with just the trackpad today haha! 

(although for some reason on the recording the mouse is not in the same exact positions as when I recorded, as you can see when I select the drawing options. Haven't done a screen recording before so maybe it did something wrong!)

Just now, anniemitch said:

That is strange - I have also realised the size difference does not appear on the screen recording as it is to me:

Photo09-01-202490806am.thumb.jpg.c71b979449535a384e8df935d4fee5ee.jpgPhoto09-01-202490808am.thumb.jpg.6ce7f4eef2fe73cfaf01219dacf22a97.jpg

have attached two images of what I am seeing on my monitor. Perhaps it is something to do with screen resolution and display settings that are not being translated to the drawing area, but are the rest of the VW space? 

Many thanks

@anniemitch Thank you for the screen recording and photographs of your screen. They do help quite a bit...

I see what you mean about the cursor being larger over the drawing area versus its size over the view bar. I am noticing too in the screen recording that your cursor changes colour when it moves between the drawing area and the UI palettes and view bar. Neither of these cursor effects are part of Vectorworks options – I suspect that you have some other installed software or system/accessibility setting affecting the cursor's appearance. I recommend looking into that and observing how your cursor behaves in other applications as well.

Also, I noticed that during your screen recording it appears that you are clicking in one location to draw a rectangle but the rectangle is actually being drawing at another location. This may indicate that you have a GPU issue... and looking at the specs of the HP Spectre x360, that machine has limited power in this regard. (It seems to only have an integrated, low power graphics unit as opposed to an actual graphics card. Note that from the Vectorworks system requirements a minimum of 2GB of dedicated VRAM is recommended even for entry level work.) I recommend keeping an eye on that and if you encounter visual oddities, bear in mind that they may be related to the computer's specs.

@anniemitch I mentioned to a colleague of mine what you were seeing and he did some digging (He has a Windows computer. I don't.)

It appears that Windows has some system-wide "mouse pointer" settings that do what you have shown in your screen recording. See the image below.

He also confirmed that the cursor behaviour you are seeing is not related to Vectorworks' own options.

image.png

13 hours ago, Neil Barman said:

I am noticing too in the screen recording that your cursor changes colour 

Also, I noticed that during your screen recording it appears that you are clicking in one location to draw a rectangle but the rectangle is actually being drawing at another location. 

Ah, the cursor changing colour is just a custom setting! I have just changed that for visibility. 

Also sorry, I also mentioned above but perhaps it wasn't clear - the screen recording is not showing accurately where I am clicking, and for some reason showing the cursor off to one side when I draw - this is not happening in real life which is odd. So, I think disregard the screen recording and instead to refer to is the two photos of the screen I attached?

The only thing I am concerned about is the cursor size changing only on the Vectorworks drawing space exclusively, and only on VW 2024.

Also I know my computer isn't great but does get by. I wouldn't be using it if I didn't have to unfortunately££££££

Many thanks 🙂

12 hours ago, Neil Barman said:

@anniemitch I mentioned to a colleague of mine what you were seeing and he did some digging (He has a Windows computer. I don't.)

It appears that Windows has some system-wide "mouse pointer" settings that do what you have shown in your screen recording. 

Hmm, do you mean this in relation to the size? I have not set my cursor size to large (it is always set at the smallest size) and it is only and exclusively in VW 24 that this larger cursor is occurring, which is why I am a bit confused! I had checked those cursor settings as my very first troubleshoot, and all have remained normal throughout.

I wasn't sure if therefore it was a glitch and the way that VW 24 is dealing with my computer, or if VW24 has updated resolution settings that is making it confused about my true screen resolution. However if that was the case, I wouldn't expect it to occur on just the drawing space, but rather the whole VW window?

Many thanks 🙂

image.thumb.png.a8a1d064e4630197cd040d38bd25cde3.png

@anniemitch If the Windows mouse pointer settings are not what is causing the pointer size to change for you, I'm not sure what is. Please do know however there is no Vectorworks setting causing it. It's always worth asking the braintrust here, but in this case there's no Vectorworks setting for it.

Incidentally, I have checked our system and I see no other mentions of this occurring for anyone else.

Something to try, if you wish, would be to fully uninstall Vectorworks using the uninstaller in the application folder, then reinstall Vectorworks and make sure you've fully updated it too. That may help remove the issue in case Windows is somehow having a problem with your current installation of it.

Beyond that, you may want to report it to your local Vectorworks technical support in order to log the issue. If they can replicate the issue then it can be investigated by our engineers.

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen!

Myself and one other colleague of mine had the same exact problem! I tried VW support, IT at my job, several friends different forums, everything I could think of and everything failed. Finally I fixed mine by purchasing a 4K monitor which is the same resolution as my MSI. All my other monitors are 1920x1080. When I changed my computer to match my other screens the cursor got even bigger! What made me decide to get the 4K was when I would drag the VW to the MSI, the cursor was normal size. 

There's more I could say about it but, I'm way behind in work and I need to catch up. If anyone would like to ask a question feel free.