fit walls to roof

Shani

I am desperately trying to use the fit walls to roof command but the walls always are coming up too tall and not even fit properly (the angles are off). The roofs I've been trying with are skillion roof faces, but I aslo want to fit other walls to a roof which is a curved 3d extrusion - will this work? Thanks

Robert

When I get some free time I will extract the information from two of my models where the fit to roof command has not even gone close to an accurate result and email them to you.

The roofs in question are on a separate layer and I will concede that the roofs are a little complex - the results were dissapointing though.

THis brings me to my next point - THE FIT WALLS TO ROOF COMMAND NEEDS AN UNDO CAPABILITY THAT RESTORES THE WALL TO ITS ORIGINAL STATE.

I know you can go in and manually do this with the 3D reshape tool but you shouldn't have to. I have had instances where the wall has ended up being so distorted that it has been nigh on impossible to do this manually (spikes above and below withhout vertices).

You can adjust the walls manually (we all did that for a looong time). But there are other tricks. Sometimes I create a "dummy" layer in which I place 3d objects that only exist for one purpose: to use with the FWTR command. Sometimes running the FWTR command on one wall at a time does the trick. Remember, you can always hit "command z" (undo) to get back to where you were...Play around, have fun. I'm sure you will find a reasonable solution.:-)

When I'm in this situation of having to do manual reshaping of walls I use the following technique:

- temporarily change the roof pen colour to something easily seen such as red or blue.

- layer link the roof layer into the required wall layer.

- unlock the layer link and move it vertically into the correct location for the walls in question. (For some reason it does not come in at the correct height even when the Z of the wall layer and the roof layer are identical)

- Use SEND TO BACK on the linked roof and then relock it.

- Reshape the walls with the 3D reshape tool.

When all of the necessary manual reshaping has been completed the linked roof can be unlocked and then deleted, After this you need to go back to the roof layer and return the pen colour for all off the roof elements back to their class or original colour.

You can also use the same technique by temporarily PASTING INTO PLACE the required roof elements into the wall layer and then grouping and locking them. Just unlock and delete on completion. This technique works best if your roof has the same Z as the floor immediately below it.

Hope this helps.