Incoherence in detail level between walls and floors.

arquitextonica

Question

Hello All,

I discovered some incongruencies in the medium and high detail levels in walls.
Now I see these incongruencies are yet deeper as they extend to big differences between the representation of walls and floors.
In the attachment, the left side is with plan and section on low level (don´t know if its the right name in english, I use the german version)
Walls and slab are constructed in a similar fashion. Container object in Class SB0 thick pen. Shells in S1 and S2.
I could cope with the simple detail level, but the medium and high detail level are wron in plan and section.
In plan I should in no way see the yellow filling behind the red and green AND in section I should either not see the section profile of the wall or see the section profile ALSO in the slab (which I´d very much prefer).

grafik.thumb.png.55057780d49077e38670e0b1efd2b6fb.png

Thing goes further as I just tried to represent the plans with horizontal sections and the representation is again different... this time at least I got rid of the yellow background in the detailed view and the yellow slab filling on the both surfaces which in my opinion is right...

grafik.png.2ffb4fa8e31dc454b2d9e30482c3abd8.png

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

Yeah, in my opinion the whole setup of detail levels is a mess. We always struggle with a consistent of our plans to work in different scales and detail levels. In this regard the competition is way ahead of Vectorworks. We have a building that has to be split into two different files, because in one part we are already doing construction documents and in the other we are still in the design development phase. Doing both in one file is to complicated at the moment. We have to split it and reference them together again. 🙄

• Like 1

I do not use the attributes of container objects to determine fill or lineweight in sections.

Instead they are determined per component, and I then fiddle around with the settings in "advanced section properties".

Having said that, I have not yet tried to use "detail levels" - instead I have two setups, one which uses merged sections and one which doesn't, and these effectively are my two detail levels.

If you posted your file, maybe some suggestions could be made as to how to get what you want.

Agreed that there are lots of inconsistencies like this in VW though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, line-weight said:

Instead they are determined per component, and I then fiddle around with the settings in "advanced section properties".

This would be "a solution" if the slabs had the line definition of each component split in upper and lower side, BUT they have not! Another inconsistency...

1 hour ago, line-weight said:

If you posted your file

There you have it... feel free and thanks in advance!

SUPPORT_WÄNDE DECKEN.vwx

I have only done this very quickly, so I don't know if it's much help, but this shows the kind of approach I would take; you can look at the attached file to see the settings.

I haven't attempted to make the top/plan ones consistent as well - this is because I have mostly stopped using top/plan, and for my drawings I use horizontal sections instead.

1901236234_Screenshot2021-11-05at15_04_54.thumb.jpg.afcd0c14229b246c4371adf3ebdd4603.jpg

SUPPORT_WÄNDE DECKEN--lw.vwx

1 hour ago, arquitextonica said:

Thanks A LOT!
Out of curiosity... is there a reason for the change?

Some of the issues are discussed in the thread linked below - although that's a bit out of date now.

Horizontal sections are the "least worst" option for me at the moment, but the pros and cons will be different for each user depending on what kinds of projects they do.

• Like 1