Custom Title block doesn't show up as an option

cjg

Question

I created a title block using Vectorworks guide and put the file in my user libraries under default in the title block folder but it won't show up when I try to insert it in my drafting. I can see all the default title blocks but mine will not show up. What do I do?

It's a symbol and I have it all the text connected, but it won't show up as an option in a new document. 

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @cjg,

Did you try refreshing your resource manager libraries? If this does not help, can you make a screen recording showing how does your custom Title Block look, where it is placed and how you are trying to find it with the Title Block? Or, can you send the file with a test custom title block of yours, so that I can see if everything is set up correctly there?

Thanks,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Christina

A few thoughts...some sage advice from an ancient VW user 🙂

First, it is always a good idea to note your version of VW when you post anything.  For example I am not upgrading to VW 2020 for more reasons than I care to mention here, so I was not able to assist you with your issue because your file was a 2022 file and I could not open it 🙂

Second...do yourself a huge favor and spend a couple hundred bucks and buy a second display. Honestly, I absolutely cannot imagine working, as you do, having all the various palettes jammed around your one display window. You will find that you will probably make like 5,000 less mouse clicks during the day by having all your palettes on a second display. The time you spend scrolling to expand and contract all those crowded palettes on your one display would be insanity to me 🙂 

5 hours ago, Kevin K said:

Christina

A few thoughts...some sage advice from an ancient VW user 🙂

First, it is always a good idea to note your version of VW when you post anything.  For example I am not upgrading to VW 2020 for more reasons than I care to mention here, so I was not able to assist you with your issue because your file was a 2022 file and I could not open it 🙂

Second...do yourself a huge favor and spend a couple hundred bucks and buy a second display. Honestly, I absolutely cannot imagine working, as you do, having all the various palettes jammed around your one display window. You will find that you will probably make like 5,000 less mouse clicks during the day by having all your palettes on a second display. The time you spend scrolling to expand and contract all those crowded palettes on your one display would be insanity to me 🙂 

Get your eyes checked "ancient VW user" 🙂

It clearly shows she is using 2022 Designer in the video.

2nd displays are overrated and negatively impact performance (user and computer) for most.

Plus, the amount of time you spent moving stuff around during our online meeting was maddening 🙂

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks for the video and file @cjg,

Back to the problem, what is happening here is that your custom title block is a regular symbol and the Title Block Border is looking for Title Block Border styles, which are symbols with title block border objects in them. That is why you cannot see your symbol in the style picker. Here are 2 things that you can do in this case:

1) If you prefer to work with regular symbols you can still use them with the Title Block Border if you open Title Block Border Settings dialog, then go to Title Block pane and click on Import Title Block Graphics as shown in the image below. This way you will be able to select regular 2D symbols to use in the Title Block Border.

image.png

2) The other way around this is to start using Title Block Border styles. You can do the same steps from 1) to get your title block border to use the graphics of your custom symbol. After that you can create a new style from this title block border using the object info palette style options(Style->New Plugin Style from Unstyled Plugin...) which will create a TBB style with these graphics. After this, you will be able to see that style in the style pickers in TBB Settings and TB Manager dialogs. If you want to change anything in this style, you can find it in the resource manager and edit it from there (the style edit is using the same UI as the TBB edit itself). I would advice you to learn some more about TBBs from VW help, which can be found by pressing the '?' in top right of the TBManager and TBB settings dialog or directly here https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2022/eng/VW2022_Guide/Setup/Creating_title_block_borders.htm#h .

Let me know if there is anything else that you need help with.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 3