custom stairs

suzannah

• 1 month later...

Interesting to note that the German version of VW appears to have a much more comprehensive stair PIO. See picture from their VW architect brochure below. I'm also impressed by the fact that it is very much a graphical interface - much more of this is needed in VW.

-

[ 01-14-2005, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

• 5 months later...

Why do different localised versions have different capabilities? I've noticed the Aussie/New Zealand version has excellent window modelling capabilities due to WinDoor too. Is it due to licencing issues or internatlisation problems that these improvements are not distributed world wide?

quote:

Originally posted by Christiaan:

Why do different localised versions have different capabilities? I've noticed the Aussie/New Zealand version has excellent window modelling capabilities due to WinDoor too. Is it due to licencing issues or internatlisation problems that these improvements are not distributed world wide?

I may be a darn capitalist, but if I have a product that someone in China wants, let him/her pay for it and I'll sell it. You could sell it for a small premium outside the country of origin, but sell it. I think VW and us users should get all the help we can from these great tools developed around the world.

Could fear of piracy be the issue?

Each distributor has the ability to localise VW for their country, any country could, if they wanted to, add Julian's windoor manager and other cool tools. It's probably not money, it's probably desire (or logistics) that stops some distributors including all the cool tools from all round the world.

Some of Julian's tools are available directly from Julian's web site:

http://www.ozcad.com.au

Hey Jonathan, it seems to me that Nemetschek is missing the boat. Rather than leaving it soley to local distributors (which creates a disparate product) or leaving it up to individual users to purchase and install them (which introduces an unnecessary maintenance overhead for CAD offices) they should optionally distribute these plugins integrated at global level. It just seems to me that there's got to be a better way of distributing these plugins. Either that or they should upgrade Vectorworks to the level of these plugins themselves.

The three plugins that come to mind for our office are WinDoor, Worksheet On Drawing & this German stair PIO. We're likely to purchase Worksheet On Drawing but WinDoor is probably too expensive. Having purchased any plugins we then need to maintain them, which is often problematic.

[ 07-01-2005, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Christiaan ]

I agree, but, one, we're reluctant to direct resources toward maintaining plugins, and two, it will take a little to convince those holding the purse strings that an enhanced window plugin is worth an additional 10-15% of the original price of Vectorworks in an office where I'm dragging people kicking and screaming (well not quite screaming) just to start using Vectorworks BIM capabilities (including the standard window plugin tool).

[ 07-01-2005, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Christiaan ]

Christiaan, i've always had trouble maintaining plug-ins when you upgrade a VW version. of course there are sites that you can go to and get bits from here and there, but it is lot of effort. Since NZ went to the localised version i have only had to maintain my tools and it has been a lot easier.

So, yes I agree, NNA could do this a lot better. But then so could your distributor. Remember that NNA has given the distributor the ability and responsibility to localise VW for their area. Why not ask your distributor why they don't include these things that you need?