Global Note Field on Sheets?

trashcan

Question

I have a "revisions" text box that doesn't make sense to be in "Project Data" or "Sheet Data" because of how it is formatted. Am I correct in that the only way to have this text appear across all sheets is to add it to the Title Block Layout? I've been manually copying and pasting the updated text with every version released to each and every sheet and it's definitely an annoying thing I have to do each time. 

Edited by trashcan

5 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @trashcan,

Could you give me some more information here. On what worksheets do you want this to appear? If it is a document wide data, why is it not making sense to have it in Project Data? A sample test file or images showing what you are trying to achieve would help.

Thanks,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1

It is document wide data but it's rich text so I can't have it in Project Data. It's a list of revisions that looks something like this:

10/29/21 V04A

This is some text about what changed in this version. It is rich text. 

10/28/21 V03B

10/22/21 V03A

10/21/21 V02C

10/21/21 V02B

04/21/21 V02A

image.thumb.png.0b830fb628b020b6be851468fad7e9b8.png

The general notes (up top) are specific to the sheet, whereas the the revisions text is consistent across all sheets. The obvious work around is to just put the document wide text in the Title Block layout. 

Still not really sure what you are trying to do here? I do not see worksheets in your examples above. By rich text do you mean that it has some specific font and format settings? If so, even if the data is in Project Data, if you link it to a text object in the Title Block Layout it will get its font and format so everything is preserved. Or do you want to have all this in a single text -

"04/21/21 V02A

This is some text about what changed in this version. It is rich text." - Meaning you want to have mixed fonts/formats in the same text object? If that is the case, I am afraid that currently you cannot achieve this with linked text since it can only have a single font/format assigned to it.

Ah-ha I see where the confusion is. I didn't mean to say worksheets! Just sheets. Hah. Some long days lately...

By rich text, I mean that it has text that has a variable format settings, and yes, I want it all as a single text block which is why Project / Sheet Data won't work. 

Another reason why rich text in all text fields is badly badly needed in Vectorworks. 

Am I correct in that the only work around is to put this text block the Title Block layout so it appears across all sheets? 

1 minute ago, trashcan said:

Ah-ha I see where the confusion is. I didn't mean to say worksheets! Just sheets. Hah. Some long days lately...

By rich text, I mean that it has text that has a variable format settings, and yes, I want it all as a single text block which is why Project / Sheet Data won't work. 

Another reason why rich text in all text fields is badly badly needed in Vectorworks. 

Am I correct in that the only work around is to put this text block the Title Block layout so it appears across all sheets? 

- Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I think that this is the only way to get this working at this time.

• Like 1