sadly switching

Hello all, this is not a specific "Architect " question but it concerns architecture. I may be moving to CA to work in a large firm, 4,000 people, that uses AutoCad. I believe they use ADT in 2 and 3-D modes. For those of you that are current or former ADT users, I'm wondering how I should rate my skills. i.e., how much of a concern should the firm have that I have only used autocad for one semester of scholl several years ago. I think I'll pick it up quickly but i thought I'd see what others think.

thanks,

Seena

p.s. I guess I could try to get them to switch but that might be a bit tough [smile][big Grin]

I am in a sort-of opposite situation - considering a move from AutoCAD to Vectorworks and very concerned because the software investment would be a personal one

The way I see it, there a two assets (or liabilities as the case maybe) to be considered. One is a ?Basic Skill Set? I believe that this Basic CAD-Skill is easily transferred from Brand A software to Brand B. Such things as, for example, extending a line rather tha drawing another little short segment. The Where and How a particular Cad software might bury such a command/function may be daunting. But, at least if you know what sort of function you are looking for persistence (and a good help file/manual) will reveal it.

It the Second Asset that scare me personally ? one I would call My CAD paradigm. One?s paradigms (defined as a philosophical or theoretical framework of any kind) might be the hardest to overcome. Example: In the AutoCAD world we use ?Levels? whereas in Vectorworks ?levels? aren?t ?levels?, they?re Classes and VW levels are er? ah? something else. ?See what I mean. If you are a) willing and b) able to adopt a new framework in thinking, then the transition is possible.

I personally believe there is no ?Good-CAD? and no ?Bad-CAD? ( e.g. AutoCAD vs Vectorworks) ? just ?Different-CAD?. Like the age old Ford vs Chev kind of argument. Which one did you cut your teeth on, learn first etc. This goes along way to shaping your CAD-paradigms and hence, which is ?Best-CAD?.

So, evaluate your ?Assests? and see where your strength and weakness are. T=Thios may help in determining where to go

JimL

My $0.02?s worth (And, being Canadian, makes it worth a lot ?little? more lately [smile]

Jim - you are right, but also wrong. As long as one talks about doing exactly the same thing (like the conventional CAD - lines on electronic paper), you are right. However, programs such as ArchiCAD and VectorWorks are based on a different 'paradigm' altogether. (They are not the only ones.)

After one gets used to thinking in modeling terms (I'm not talking even about 3D here), going back to the simplistic drafting is difficult. When for 15 years (= my case) one has manipulated walls, slabs, columns, roofs, beams, windows, doors etc, starting to even think about 'extending a line' seems - how should I say it? Arcane?

So, it's not Ford vs Chevy at all!

(I started with conventional CAD 1987...)

[ 11-26-2004, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Petri ]

Thank you both. I would have to agree with Petri. I actually started as a Form?Z guy in college and later learned VW. I do like building in a 3-D environment but I have used AutoCad a bit. I do think that there is a basic skill set that can transfer and I think the switch, while being anoying, will be achievable. Especially since I'll be getting paid to learn to a certain degree. Thanks again and I look forward to any other thoughts.

Seena