Setting a design layer to 1:1

In VW 2021 on MacOS, I use the Organization tool to set the scale of a Design Layer to 1:1. When I import a TIFF file that is around 7' wide it comes in around 56 feet wide (around 8x). Is Vectorworks looking at pixel width or something like that? I know it's not Illustrator or InDesign, but sometimes I need to bring graphic files as image files.

Thanks!

MH Brown

15 hours ago, MHBrown said:

In VW 2021 on MacOS, I use the Organization tool to set the scale of a Design Layer to 1:1. When I import a TIFF file that is around 7' wide it comes in around 56 feet wide (around 8x). Is Vectorworks looking at pixel width or something like that? I know it's not Illustrator or InDesign, but sometimes I need to bring graphic files as image files.

Thanks!

MH Brown

The Tiff file format supports a "page size" (the resolution measured in pixels divided by the dpi within the file)

Are you sure the file in question is actually defined as 7' wide?

If your design layer is set to 1:1, a tiff should come in at it's native "page size".

Example: Attached are two 8.5x11 tiffs.... one at 72 dpi, the other at 300 dpi.

If you import them onto a design layer with a scale set at 1:1, they should appear to be the same physical dimensions within Vectorworks, even though one is at a higher resolution than the other

If you import them onto a design layer with a scale other than 1:1, the files will be scaled by the design layer scale factor.

Hopefully, this helps you identify what is going wrong in your particular case, I suspect your image is not actually 7' wide.

letter-72 dpi.tiff letter300 dpi.tiff