Bug? - Inserting Data Tag adds Arrows to Wall Lines

E|FA

Question

Inserting a data tag in SLVP Annotations is changing lines (adding arrows at ends) in SL & DL.  Video of the issue is below.  Anyone else seeing this?  Bug or user error?

I already submitted this as a support question via Service Select. I haven't heard back yet, and I don't know how to add info (this video) to the support request.

VW Architect 2022 SP1.1 + macOS 12.0.1

12 answers to this question

I can't follow your recommendation because the arrow markers in the attributes palette are grayed out because everything is set by class in the wall style.  I then converted the wall to an unstyled wall, chose "Remove By Class Settings" in the secret attributes palette menu, and everything in the attributes palette became available EXCEPT the arrow markers. 

FYI, I sent the file to VW via the Service Select support request form (https://customers.vectorworks.net/support).  

I guess being a beta tester is the price one pays for upgrading before SP2.  I'm probably going to put my transition to 2022 on hold for a while.  I definitely don't want to put time into new template files if things are breaking and I have to waste my time figuring it out.

That worked.  Thanks!  But now I have followup questions:

A. How do I get the arrows off the walls that are already changed? Easiest might be to delete and start over.

B. By default (assuming I'm paying attention) I keep the None class active in case I forget to properly classify objects as I draw.  In the Class settings there's no way to show no arrow markers.  Is this the proper workflow to get the default attributes to stick (screen capture below):

1. Make sure no objects are selected.

2. Make sure class selected is "None"

3. Select "Make All Attributes by Class" in the attributes palette menu (defaults to arrow markers showing, can't turn off in Organization-> Class settings)

4. Deselect marker arrows in the attributes palette.

5. Select "Set Default Attributes" in the attributes palette menu

C. Should we expect this bug (and other wall bugs you're aware of from the other threads) to be resolved in the next SP?  Are there other bugs that might happen given that placing a Data Tag in a SLVP affects the attributes of items in the model?

Adding to post (and another screen recording): 

D.  If I "Set Default Attributes" without marker arrows, why do the marker arrows come back when I choose to "Use Default Attributes"?

Edited by E|FA
Added question & recording
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

18 hours ago, E|FA said:

That worked.  Thanks!  But now I have followup questions:

See comments below:
(I’m not at my computer so I’m taking my best guesses.)

18 hours ago, E|FA said:

A. How do I get the arrows off the walls that are already changed? Easiest might be to delete and start over.

You should be able to reset them by selecting them and using the Move command to move them by (0,0).

18 hours ago, E|FA said:

B. By default (assuming I'm paying attention) I keep the None class active in case I forget to properly classify objects as I draw.  In the Class settings there's no way to show no arrow markers.  Is this the proper workflow to get the default attributes to stick (screen capture below):

1. Make sure no objects are selected.

2. Make sure class selected is "None"

3. Select "Make All Attributes by Class" in the attributes palette menu (defaults to arrow markers showing, can't turn off in Organization-> Class settings)

4. Deselect marker arrows in the attributes palette.

5. Select "Set Default Attributes" in the attributes palette menu

I believe step #5 is not needed.  Whatever the attribute palette is set to when no objects are selected are the defaults.  I believe the Use/Set Default commands have to do with setting the attributes or using the attributes of the selected object.  I’d need to check this on my computer to be sure.

18 hours ago, E|FA said:

C. Should we expect this bug (and other wall bugs you're aware of from the other threads) to be resolved in the next SP?

All I can say at the moment is that we’re working hard to resolve as many of the most critical bugs in the next SP.  I expect many of these issues will be resolved. 

18 hours ago, E|FA said:

Are there other bugs that might happen given that placing a Data Tag in a SLVP affects the attributes of items in the model?

I believe the problem you’re seeing with the Data Tag with the Wall is strictly a Wall issue.  I will test this tomorrow to be sure.

If you’re curious, try setting your default attributes with the markers on, then reset a wall by moving it by (0,0) with the move command.  If the markers show, it is a wall issue.

18 hours ago, E|FA said:

D.  If I "Set Default Attributes" without marker arrows, why do the marker arrows come back when I choose to "Use Default Attributes"?

I need to look at this on my computer tomorrow to see what’s happening with that.

7 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

You should be able to reset them by selecting them and using the Move command to move them by (0,0).

That worked. Does that mean that whenever I move a wall it will change attributes based on default attribute settings?

30 minutes ago, E|FA said:
7 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

That worked. Does that mean that whenever I move a wall it will change attributes based on default attribute settings?

In theory moving an object should not reset/change its attributes. If this happens to a wall when moving it by (0,0) are there perhaps other objects where this could happen as well? If so is this by design for a movement by (0,0) or could this also happen with e.g. duplicate in place?

12 minutes ago, Art V said:
46 minutes ago, E|FA said:
8 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

In theory moving an object should not reset/change its attributes. If this happens to a wall when moving it by (0,0) are there perhaps other objects where this could happen as well? If so is this by design for a movement by (0,0) or could this also happen with e.g. duplicate in place?

‘This is not by design.  If you see this happening with any object, I would say it’s a bug.

Objects in a document carry their own attributes and should not take on any default attributes.

9 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

‘This is not by design.  If you see this happening with any object, I would say it’s a bug.

Objects in a document carry their own attributes and should not take on any default attributes.

@Matt Panzer Thanks for the clarification, so moving something by (0,0) causing object attributes to change to default atrributes is a bug in itself though it is in this case it happens to solve an issue with another bug if I understand this correctly.

4 hours ago, Art V said:

@Matt Panzer Thanks for the clarification, so moving something by (0,0) causing object attributes to change to default atrributes is a bug in itself though it is in this case it happens to solve an issue with another bug if I understand this correctly.

The bug is that the object picks up the default marker attribute settings upon a reset.  This problem will happen whenever the object resets.  Objects typically reset when they have their class, attributes, parameter (etc.) changed, but many also reset when the object is moved or rotated.  So moving by (0,0) is simply an easy way to reset the object without changing anything else.  There's no special behavior otherwise.

• Like 1

I am using VW 2023 and that just started happening with my wall sections also.  I was ready to publish for permit review and BAM!!!  Great timing.  As a workaround, I turned off the wall layers in annotations and simply drew the walls manually.  A pain, but at least I got my drawings published. 

One interesting thing mentioned in an earlier post - I use Wall Types Data Tags with leaders.  Could that be the cuplrit?